Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

small hunting areas

Old 01-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: small hunting areas

5 acres, and have hunted smaller.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rhody-
Since you will obviously have trouble covering the entire 11 acres by yourself, let me know if you need someone to watch the other side of the property. Since we both hunt RI, it can't be more than 45 minutes away from me no matter where it is, lol. Are you getting out to do any late season hunting? Wonder how its been. I haven't hit the woods in weeks.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

A few years ago I hunted a spot that was about 1 or 2 acres, with houses on 2 sides. There were lots of deer passing through that area, but it has since been developed.I now hunt a a piece of property that is 125 acres, but most of it is open fields or a creek. The huntable area is about 5 acres.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:25 AM

i have permission to hunt one place that is a open grass fields(open "fairway" grass) with a big L hedgerow (from one side to the other is about 30 yards). The top end of the L is a swamp and they bed there every day. No one really hunts it either. I hunt near the corner of the L and have had success when I can get in there undetected. Whole thing is about 100 x30 yards by 100 x40yards long
Old 01-09-2006, 11:27 AM

i have permission to hunt one place that is a open grass fields(open "fairway" grass) with a big L hedgerow (from one side to the other is about 30 yards). The top end of the L is a swamp and they bed there every day. No one really hunts it either. I hunt near the corner of the L and have had success when I can get in there undetected. Whole thing is about 100 x30 yards by 100 x40yards long
Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had great success hunting small properties. Half of the bigger bucks Ive harvested in my 20+ years of bowhunting have been from small private lots between houses, highways and small shopping centers/warehouses etc ....
Old 01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

One of my favorite spots is a 14 acre tract that has a house on it. It is a natural funnel between a timbered ridge and a thicket the deer use as a bedding area. The house sits in one corner and the deer travel through the brush in the opposite corner. I use a ground blind and have harvested 7 deer in 4 years on this property. I just have to take care not to over hunt it. I try to only hunt it during the rut and have taken2-120 to 130 class bucks on this property and 5 does. All i have to do is share the harvest with the landowner and he is more than happy to let me hunt it!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

strut stopper i haven't been out lately but I'm going tomorrow.I'm going to be hunting a different piece of property.Don't get to your side of the bay much but i would always welcome new people to hunt with.I'm hoping to fill my tag.its great to hear others having success on small lots.I forgot i once took one off my own land which is 3 acres.I walked over the hill and there she was 15 yards away.took her with no camo or scent control on the ground.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have occasionally hunted a woods that is only about an acre and a half in size, that sits right out in the middle of a field, to the northeast there is a huge woods. It's a good spot, because you can sneak into the stand on the corner of the woods without disturbing the deer that bed on the other side. Let me tell ya lots of deer have been shot out of that stand.