Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help

Old 01-07-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Need help

I got a bow about 2 months ago (Martin magcat, 50#), andI have been practicing most every day sinceI got it. I wanted to be ready for hunting season next year. Even after all my practice, my groupings are still really bad. Even from 10 yards, each arrow will be at least 3 or so inches from the others. It gets even worse the farther I shoot. The bow fits me, I have the right sized arrows, it is not too heavy, and I shoot the same way every time using the same stance. I don't know if it matters, but my rest is a whisker buiscuit,and I am using a stabillizer and a release.
Is it my fault, the bow, the rest, or arrows? Please don't tell me that I need some expensive arrows, or any other expensive equipment because I don't have any money.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help

when i first started shooting bows i had the same problem, i would be on mark for a few shots then one arrow would f-me up. so after trouble shooting i noticed i was droping my bow arm too soon which caused my arrows to woble. so try and keep your posture until the arrow hits the target and see what that will do for you. if that dosnt help, make sure you release from the same spot on your cheek every time, if you are using a trigger release it might have a little blad that sticks out of the top that you can put in the crease of your lips on the side of your mouth. if you use your fingers you can go to the local archery shop and buy a lip knock that you can tie on your string. if these tips do not help, go back to the basics: knocking point, make sure your string is center, etc
Old 01-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya what 518 said. make sure you have the right WB. they make differant incerts for carb,alum arrows. and practice practice practice.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, the type of equipment you use would be the last thing to cause you trouble. The first thing you must do is make sure the equipment you are using is set up correctly. My guess is its not and if not its going to be difficult to improve your shooting. Get everything tuned up so you at least have a chance to shoot good groups then practice. There's certainly nothing wrong with a WB and it can be quite accurate. Using a release should allow for more accuracy than fingers. I normally use a stabilizer but have shot without one and the main difference I found was the bow was lighter. Regardless of your rest or even if you shoot fingers, you should be able to get good groups if your bow is tuned and you practice. Is there a bow shop nearby that you could visit for help? Who set up your bow and how are you sure you have the correct spined arrows?