Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer & Christmas Trees?

Old 01-07-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Deer & Christmas Trees?

I was at the dump the other day taking my trash and they have a huge pile of christmas trees. Now I know deer will eat/nibble on some if not all types of cedar trees/needles and branches so I was wondering if they will do the same on christmas trees? I know it's probably a crazy question, but I was just wondering?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Deer & Christmas Trees?

Up here in the NC mountains, the only agriculture other than tobacco, is Christmas trees. While a hayfield with some clover in it is hard to beat as a large food source. A large field with Christmas YOUNG Christmas trees really attracts them as well. In fact, later in Novemeber and early December, I noticed the deer using a Christmas tree patch almost exclusivelythat was beside a hayfield. Almost every evening they were in the trees, compared to earlier in the year when the grass and clover in the field were green, they were in the hayfield. So yes they do like to browse in Christmas tree patches.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:49 PM

I used to hunt in Wisconsin and on a Christmas Tree Farm. I have seen deer react the same way to Christmas Trees as cedar trees. Deer will eat the needles and even chew on the bark in late December.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

My family used to raise Christmas trees on our farm years ago. The deer are very hard on them! They like to nibble on the young/new growth and the bucks loved to rub their antlers on them. They'd often take all the branches off of one side and practically destroy the tree. Needless to say it was hard to sell those trees. I guess just put the bare side back in the corner!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live near several tree farmsand they say they come and eat and destroy some of there trees.The one thats about a mile from my house shoots them year round when he sees them as a nuisance
Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer will eat needles as a last resort and can even die of starvation with a full stomach of needles but as a food source, not something I'd count on.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

We have had some good wind and heavy snow here in the UP this hunting season that took down a lot of trees and each one is about stripped on my property. They are eating everything from pines to cedars and they still managed to give me the slip this season!!!