Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a way to end the season -with my son

Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What a way to end the season -with my son

This was the best hunt I've had in the woods in 24 years - even better than my first deer. I had the opportunity to take my son with me and scored. I have a stand positioned down wind of my stand approx 15 yards for my son to sit. I have been so busy this year that I haven't hunted as much therefore his time in the woods was diminished as well. But we were able to get out a couple days in late season.

The story goes like this: After kicking deer out on the way to the stand at 3p, we finally got settled. About 4:30 I saw deer coming in from the ditch line about 200 yards out. I motioned to my son who picked them up right away. We both watched the deer make their way over and eventually three wound up in range. I decided to take the nearest doe as the shot was there. She wound up busting me by looking up before I was at full draw, but only moved off a few yards (behind a bush of course). So being at full draw I decided to take the far doe which was equally as nice. My son got to see the entire thing - from deer moving in to draw to shot to deer dropping in sight. He was so excited he was nearly screaming. He also said he was shaking in his stand when the deer were under us. It was so cool. We had the deer gutted and in the truck before dark. What a hunt.

Take your kids hunting. No kids? Take someone else's kids hunting.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a way to end the season -with my son

Bob,

Very cool! What a great way to put an end to a busy year it sounds like for you! Especially with your boy! I hope you guys have some pictures of you and your son and doe harvest to capture the memory! If so ...lets see them. Congrats again!

Troy
Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your actual shot doesn't match your username!!!

Congratulation on your experience!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 AM

thats awesome. i know the reason i got into bowhunting was because of my cousin that took me with him back when i was 11/12.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

Great Job badshotbob, " NOW THATS WHAT I"M TALK'N ABOUT".

I had taken my son, who is eight yrs old out several times this year. On the days he don't goit seems thats I would usually see deer.When I do get one, I always go home and get him and take him out tohelp look forthe it. That wayI let him think he is the one who found it. When I go out by myself and return home, he is always the first to the door to see if I got a deer or at least seen one.

We'll one dayI took him out with me and around 4.00pm I look over and see a couple deer walking towards us.All I had to do is point as he spotted them quickly. Next thing I know there was eleven deer trying to go behind our tree we were in. I spun around real slow to the other side and about that time they swithed back to come in front of us. We'll The main group of deer were out about 18yrds. When I was about half drawn back, I spooked a small one that was under our stand. Didn't even see him. Well they all started a bouncing away and couldn't get them stopped again.

Anyway after they were out of sight and about 15 minutes later he looks up at me and said "Dad are you mad [:@]". Thats when I told him "NO".That hunting isn't always about the kill. It's also about time spent out here relaxing and enjoying all that mother nature has to offer. One of these days It would be niceto take a deer with him beside me. Has to be a great feeling. Just havingmy sonup there, seeing deer for the first time in atree stand was pretty cool [8D].

Anyway, sorry for the long post. But I know what you mean. When it come to my two kids I get alittle excited too .

Again....GREAT JOB!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story Bob. I take my son squirrel hunting and I can't wait until he has the stamina to deer hunt with me.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool story from both you and crutch for sure, good job guys.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM

I know what you mean Crutch. I haven't taken a deer with my 10 year old yet, but if he's home when I get one I have him go and find it with me. It makes them part of the hunt.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's great Bob.
I can't wait to get my little girl out there with me.

We're going to go tracking and shed hunting as soon as bow season is over.

Quick Reply: What a way to end the season -with my son

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.