Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Different Question about Glasses and Bow Hunting

Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Different Question about Glasses and Bow Hunting

I wear glasses full time and one question has always nagged me: are deer seeing any sun reflectionoff my glasses and/or do my glasses standout to a deer when the rest of me is in full camo??? I use metal farmes so they are usually gold or silver. I just bought a pair of dark peuter frames with photo gray lenses ...
For you guys who wear glasses... what do you do?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Different Question about Glasses and Bow Hunting

I can't answer your question for certain but I seriously doubt that it makes a difference. I've quit wearing a facemask and haven't noticed that deer pick me out any more than when I was wearing one so I doubt that your glasses not being camo makes a difference.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

When I first started bowhunting and was spotted in my stand it seemed like they would lock onto my glasses,blow and run.I cammoed an old pair of glasses and since then whenever I'm spotted It doesnt't seem to bother them although they still look up at me ocassionally,they don't spook like they used to.I also,now wear a squirrel tail attached to my hat.I tried to upload a picture of my hunting glasses but was informed the file is too large.what I did was use camo tape across the lens on the top and bottom and left about a half inch open across the middle.I have no problems using these to hunt.They dont block enough of my vision to matter
Bill

Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Deer do look at your eyes. Our eyes are placed in the front of our skulls like a predator. That is one thing that puts them on alert. If you blink, they will see it. I am sure that they can see the sun reflecting off of the glass also. I stopped wearing my glasses because of this and other reasons like fogging up and peripheral vision. I would suggest wearing contacts. If you can't wear contacts, I would try Redneck Bill's idea.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be more willing to bet its that you made eye contact with them. Unless the angle and light is just right your glasses won't glare. However if you make eye contact with them, and it sounds like you did cause they "locked onto your glasses", then they may have locked onto your "predator" eyes. Whenever I have a deer that is looking up at me, I look at his feet, or butt, or anything but the eyes. Since I started doing this I havea better rate of them relaxing, both with my glasses and my contacts.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Bob H
Thanks for the tip,your right I was making eye contact,I'll give your advice a try,but I still like my camo taped glasses.They have rectangular spaces to see through so it doesn't appear that what they see in the tree has eyes.I also like having my squirrel tail on my hat,it seems i can get away with a little more movement.The only problem is,I had a hawk dive at my head.He veer off at about 20 yrds.
Bill
Old 01-06-2006, 09:42 AM

I wear glasses and would agree its probably more eye contact. I just got new frames/glasses and am having my old frames fitted with some cheapo lens that I can use for hunting and not worry about them. I bet just rubing mud along the arms and outside rims would take care of most of the glare. If you're in low light conditions like the big woods, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Again, agreed that eye contact would be much more of a worry.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the guys above about eye contact. Glasses or not..I do every thing I can not to make eye contact with deer or elk if they are near my stand. Bears are a different story they dont see so well!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:59 PM

I have glasses and i had little 4pnter at about 10yrd and he looked up at me and he did not spook, he was very nervous though but i also did make brief eye contact with him. if i was u i would not worry about it that much cause i dont think that it makes much of a difference, and until proven other wise i wont worry bout it.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wicchunter

I wear glasses full time and one question has always nagged me: are deer seeing any sun reflectionoff my glasses and/or do my glasses standout to a deer when the rest of me is in full camo??? I use metal farmes so they are usually gold or silver. I just bought a pair of dark peuter frames with photo gray lenses ...
For you guys who wear glasses... what do you do?
I always wear a hat with a good brim.

Quick Reply: Different Question about Glasses and Bow Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.