Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM Question

Old 01-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Site Bouncer

Default QDM Question

I have a question for those who pratice QDM (quality deer management)

This is not meant to start a flame war however I understand the possibility is there, so lets try to keep our replies on subject.

Do you do this for the quality of the herd or the size of the antlers on the bucks? I ask this because I always thought QDM was for the herd and not one gender.

If you want to pratice quality Antler Management (QAM I'll call it) that's fine I have no problem with it, but call it for what it is.I am seeing more and more posts about passing on smallerbucks and this being construed as QDM.

Am I wrong, but if your deer herd is healthy (doe to buck ratio and overall numbers)with all 2 1/2 year old, small rackedbucks and maybe a P&Y buck or two tossed in, there is no need for QDM right?

I am all in favor of QDM as it effects the herd, and my understanding of that is to keep thebuck to doe ratios at the proper level and overall numbers as well.

So is QDM about the herd or the rack?

Old 01-05-2006, 10:52 AM

Default RE: QDM Question

It's about the racks plain and simple..... Sure, a couple of pin heads will get on here and type 8 paragraphs trying to explain their position..... But in the end it's all about killing bigger deer.... Mind you, they will say "mature deer", but we all know that means bigger deer.....
Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

It's about the racks plain and simple..... Sure, a couple of pin heads will get on here and type 8 paragraphs trying to explain their position..... But in the end it's all about killing bigger deer.... Mind you, they will say "mature deer", but we all know that means bigger deer.....
That's my question, I am reading where people are passing on smaller bucks andit's donein the name of QDM. But I can't see where passing on a smaller buck will help the herd unless there aren't enough bucks.If that's the case, theyshould not be shooting ANY bucks and certainly not the bigger more mature ones that have territory and a herd of does that he is mating with.

Unless I'm missing something...and thus my post.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you both, I mean... We practice QDM and take quiet a few does a year, yet we consider it more than less to hold off on the small bucks.

Our DNR has even refer to QDM as deer's antler size as well. I hunt in a "QDM" zone, 'Quality deer Management' correct? Well, the laws prohibits you shooting deer with an antler with less than 3 points on it. So it would be "QAM"

I like that...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

What about a "mature" buck with a small rack?

Can you take him and practice QDM at the same time?

Jeff
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

There definetely is a difference in the interpretation of the term QDM depending on who you talk to and I think that makes it hard to get these measures passed in certain areas, such as the UP of Michigan where I'm located. QDM originally was for the herd, but has come to symbolize antler size, and the general sentiment among non-QDM supporters is that all QDM people are trophy hunters. I, like most, am after big bucks, but at the same time, I understand the need for doe harvest. On the recent QDM vote (2004) the debate became trophy hunters vs. meat hunters and the proposal ultimately failed because of it. We desperately need some doe harvest and buck laws changed, perhaps one buck per season, and this I think would qulaify as QDM since it would be helping the herd by getting the ratios closer together, but also a secondary effect would be the QAM portion. I think that everyone can benefit from QDM because the meat hunters can take a doe to eat, but the buck hunters have an increased chance of taking a good buck. Just my $0.02
Old 01-05-2006, 01:18 PM

We practice QDM and I feel it's about both the herd and antler size. Our first goal was to get a better buck to doe ratio so we could see a more definitive rut and achieve a balanced herd. Our current goal is to allow the bucks to reach maturity unless an "inferior" younger buck presents itself. It's not an easy thing to pull the trigger on a spindly piebald and use your only buck tag for the year. If we can get rid of the piebalds, our herd seems to have good genes. However, we would all like the opportunity to take a Pope and Young buck from time to time.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I should be asking this in the QDM forum, but what do you guys feel is the idealdoe/buck ratio?
Where I hunt I seeabout 10 does for every buck.

I figure the point of keeping the doe #sin check is so that only the dominant bucks get to mate and not every spike horn out there, am I right or is there another reason?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a feeling this thread will take off...
But my 2 cents are this

QDM principles are to pass on young deer, shoot mature does and bucks. It just so happens that mature bucks almost always equal big bucks. If you get into situations where you are shooting cull bucks, and worried about genes,then it's leaning towards QAM. QDM is also about having an age structure that spans deer of many age classes. If all your top end bucks are only 2 1/2 that is not a healthy age structure. Passing on a small bucks=young bucks=allows the age structure to be sorted out with older deer. Shoot enough deer for the land to hold, pass on younger bucks, I don't think its that much to ask, or too difficult a concept to grasp.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Wouldn't "IDEAL" be 1/1?

Jeff

Quick Reply: QDM Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.