Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SHOOTERS WITH GLASSES ~ HELP!

Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM

Default SHOOTERS WITH GLASSES ~ HELP!

If you wear glasses and shoot bow, hope you can help me.
Been shooting bow for many years. And I wear glasses and am not a candidate for contacts or lasic surgery so that's not a resolve.
My problem: When I draw back and am looking through the rear peep ready to shoot, target is out of focus because I am looking through the "side" of my glasses near the nose. Make sense?
What can I do? Different eye doctor? Bigger lenses? Anybody else have this problem and worked it out?

Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SHOOTERS WITH GLASSES ~ HELP!

Do you shoot with one eye open of both? What I do is when I pick out new frames I always pretend I'm at full draw to make sure that I don't have that problem. You may also want to try to turn your head a little until you are looking through your lense.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:28 AM

It sounds to me like your draw length on your bow is too long. I wear glasses and don't have any problem. I have noticed that if I pick up someone else's bow with longer draw length it is a problem. Make sure that your draw length is correct. Your head should be perfectly straight and eye dead center of string with correct draw length. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TWIRPY

It sounds to me like your draw length on your bow is too long. I wear glasses and don't have any problem. I have noticed that if I pick up someone else's bow with longer draw length it is a problem. Make sure that your draw length is correct. Your head should be perfectly straight and eye dead center of string with correct draw length. Hope this helps.
Agreed,you must be drawing to far back your head should be looking more straight ahead!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could be draw length, could be the shape/size of the frames. My wife has one set of glasses she has this problem with, one set she doesn't.

Also depends on the type of lens, mention it to the eye dr. see what he suggests.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 AM

everybody touched on it. I wear glasses and don't have a problem... BUT with my lenses I can still see clearlylooking through the extreme sides of my lens... where your's blurr out. The post above about the shape of your lens may be the problem is correct... some shapes pervent the labs from getting presrciptionscorrect on the sides of the lenses... especially the wrap around type. Question.... could youreye actually be looking between the lenses? If so the shorter draw length above may help as your head would turn straighter to the target.

Your post brings up another question I have been meaning to ask about glasses and I'll start another post.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 PM

I shortened my draw length to 28" this year for other reasons. Don't think that is it. When I come to full draw, string is on the tip of my nose.
I've tried openning up and closing my stance to try and get a more straight ahead angle but doesn't work.
I wear "progressives". You know, trifocals with no lines.
I have been wearing a smaller lens and lighter frame for the past couple of years.
I am not looking through the two lenses.
I've tried both one eye and two eyes open. No difference.
There is an eye doctor in town that is a bow hunter, might go see him before next season.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:25 PM

Looks like a lot of subjects have been hit on already.

I was going to agree with draw length but you said you adjusted it this year.

Frames are getting smaller but I don't think that is it. It sounds like you are looking in between the two lenses and most perscription frames use two lenses so a larger lens won't help.

I'm guessing that your head is not positioned correctly. I target shoot with my glasses on and don't have a problem. My head is postitioned about 45 degrees in relation to the target. If your head it turned too far away from it, you would be looking across yor nose more. Try changing your head position.

The other question is "What changed?" I'm guessing this isn't your first year shooting a bow so how did you do it before?

Old 01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

g4l, I have/had the same problem. I was looking in the very corner of my glasses. What I have hadto do is shoot without my glasses (not)or train myself not to draw to my nose. I have changed my anchor piont to where the string is not on the tip of my nose,it is nowon the side of my nose.I now am looking more in the center of my specs. This has taken care of the problem for me. It took some time to get in the habit but it worked for me.

Give it a try!!

I could buy new glasses or more hunting supplies. I like toys........

Boldplate
Old 01-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your problem is with the progressive lens. Your far correction is NOT ground on the sides of the lens's. Get yourself the tri-focals with the lines in them, and you'll see OK thru the sides of the lenses. I went thru this myself.

Quick Reply: SHOOTERS WITH GLASSES ~ HELP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.