Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting

Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Default bowhunting

New to Hunting got any good advice? 12 yrs old
Old 01-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bowhunting

where do i begin?????

welcome to hunting and especially bowhunting. hope it is a lifelong love affair for ya!
tips-
shoot your bow lots- become a good shot.
study deer in the offseason- look for shed antlers, watch for deer movement and figure out where they are living.
maybe subscribe to a good bowhunting magazine, many articles teach lots of deer hunting fundamentals
join a local archery club- makes practice fun to do it with buddies, and you will learn LOTS from the old timers

and now the important parts
enjoy every sunrise and sunset- they're truly magical
take your failures in the stand along with your successes. youll learn more from the failures
take time to notice the little things. that doe or small buck that goes by just out of range is a beautiful animal
cherish every second in the great outdoors, there are many who will never experience something as grand as even an unsuccessful day in the deer woods.

good luck, and ask what ever ya need here. well try to answer the best we can!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I have some great advice, start reading everything you can including this forum and the technical forum and if ya have specific questions, ask away.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Site Buck Guru

Read, read, read and ask lots of questions until you understand, then think of some more questions!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:33 PM

whatever you do, read as much crap you can learn everywhere, magazines, online, friends, i got hooked since Dec. 3, don't just do it for the sport, relax, and enjoy the outdoors, my friend out in PA says it keeps getting worse out there, but i've only been there twice and never hunted there. whenever you are about to shoot, relax, prepare yourself, and stay calm. also, before ever hunting. build your confidence with your bow and try up to as many yards as you get. practice about 3-4 times every week. also, make sure your sights are adjusted properly. i've already improved my shot and am taking on wind. whatever you do, enjoy it and promise me to never be pessimistic, even if you didn't get a deer. at least you tried.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:38 PM

Hm, seems to me that reading everything you can find has already been mentioned...[8D] But, I'll say it again. Be the consimate student. Learn all you can, read all you can. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Concentrate on form. Practice some more. Read some more. Get out in the woods as often as you can, even in the off season. Scout, and practice some more.
Don't be quick to become aggravated. Don't be discouraged. Have fun. Be young. Invest in a tree stand, and a safety harness. Maybe a ground blind. Practice from a sitting position, kneeling position, and standing. If you have a blind or treestand practice from those. Remember to pick a spot, don't just point and shoot. Keep you emotions under control.

Well.........for now, I think that about covers it. [&:]
Old 01-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Ditto to all of the above ^^^.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where to start....hhmmmm....with a target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 PM

do that it works i'm 17. secound year hunting i get 3 magazines, practice with friends, scout. i haveharvested 265lbs of venison and 128" of antlers. great sport hooked for life. enjoy