Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It keeps me up there;

Old 01-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It keeps me up there;

invisionnig the deer stepping out in different locations, thinking about how I would react, what would I do. Yesterday (new years eve) was the last day of the season, I got into my chain-on stand at 7:30 and stayed untill dark, only got down once for a quick walk to get the blood flowing (it was so cold that I couldn't drink thewater I brought because it froze solid [ok, I lied, it was a beer]).
I heard one deer that walked past and blew at me before leaving, watched a doe and two yearlings pass at ten yrds (they were legal and I'm game but the landowner asked me to leave these three be), anyways, there was enough action to keep me up there all day.
But, every time I go to pack up I'm always sure that I'll get busted by a buck, last night it happened, I quivered my arrow, put my bow on its rope, and pulled on the velcro of my release, the noise was answered by a huge blow, looked back (I was facing the tree) and theres a respectable buck looking up at me from 15 yrds, honestly this is why I don't leave my stand, I'm always positive that theres a deer just out of sight.

oh well, I didn't get skunked this year, and turkey is only a few months away, good luck to all that can still hunt (lucky buggers), and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:18 PM

Default RE: It keeps me up there;

I was in a similar situation this year as well. I bagged my first buck this year in first shotgun season here in IL, but I went out to hunt second season, not so much to fill out my doe tag but just to be out in the woods and seeing what would pop out.

Well sure enough, a nice looking 8 pointer stepped out into the cornfield I was sitting on. At one point he was looking straight at me across the field for about 5 minutes. Luckily I had my dad's shotgun with a scope on it (my 11-87 doesn't) so I could get a glimspe of the monster. He was much wider than his ears and had about 6-8 inch brow tines. Boy was he just a monster, much bigger than my buck.

Of course it was just before dark, about 45 minutes before I would be leaving and he was coming to the field to feed. He worked his way through the field and on the trail I was set up on. I could have dropped him at 60 yards. It was unreal. He just kept on trying to wind me, even though I was down wind he never could figure out what I was. I was shaking so hard I can't believe he didn't notice.

Well, he went back into the field to eat and I was forced to sit and wait. My dad was hunting not far from me and thought I was in trouble because I wasn't showing up to the trucks. I didn't want to move,no matter what. Well, I finally had to leave. I never did find out if I spooked him or not, but it sure did suck knowing I had to leave my stand and there was a monster buck in the field right in front of me. I tried to remain as quiet as I could, but I am not certain he wasn't spooked.

Ohh well, there is always next year. And next year I will be hunting this guy down with my bow, make it even more challenging!

So in the end, I know how you feel.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It keeps me up there;

Sound's like it was a great day of hunting ,as long as you see deer it make's it well worth being there .

nubo