Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

Old 12-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

when i noticed she was going pretty far 150 yards i stopped and went out for about an hour and then came back and started looking i thought with all that blood she was sure to die
Old 01-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

saltflat, Sounds like your grandfather is a wise man, this is very true and I've personally witnessed it on several hunts.

It's many times bow shot deer go unclaimed just out of site due to them being pushed. I'm not saying that the case here I just making suggestions. Some deer are very hard to go down, does included. A rule of thumb I use if I see the arrow enter the deer and know exactly where I hit it I'll persue it in 1 hour. If it goes down in site I'll go claim in 30-45 minutes. If I don't see where I hit it and I don't feel it's a great shot I'll come out get bite to eat take a nap what ever and come back to claim 2-3 hours at least. If it's a gut shot these deer can go 4-6 hours or more. I'm the tracker in our group and when someone gets one down and can't find it they come for me. I helped a guy on his first bow kill on a very small doe one year he hit it far back and low, this deer only bled very small amounts maybe 1-2 drops every 30-40 yards, after 300+ yards and 5 hours I finally caught up with her still alive and a portion of her intestine hanging out. Needles to say she was promptly put down to end her suffering. It kinda sounds possible that you might hit the deer in the brisket,they do bleed alot of bright blood when hit there. Could've grazed a upper leg lower briskit area to. Did you find any greyish hair as well as the white? If it's all white (snowwhite) then it maybe a little further back then the briskit. Something that I due when I can't find any blood and the trail's gone cold is hang a piece of toilet paper at the last place where I find blood and then go out 10 yards and make a full circle around the paper then go out 10 more and another full circle. keep doing this and usually you'll find your game in 40-80 yards. I hope you find the deer or evidence that it's not a fatal shot anyway.I live down in southeast ohio and if it wasn't too far or too much time that'd past I'd help you find her. Good luck hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 AM

Was there any bubbles in the blood you found?If so a good chance
it went thru brisket or lower neck.Sounds like entrance wound
or exit wound was definetly low.I tracked a doe that one of my buddys
shot some year's back that made the simmular move during arrow
flight.He had cut the bottom of the wind pipe!Gave the deer 4 hours.
Still jumped her.Gave her 2 more hours still jumped her again.Make a
long story short we never recovered that doe.But you owe it to the
animal to give it every attempt you can!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Site Buck Guru

Like someone stated earlier it sounds like a muscle hit. They bleed profusely then just die out to no blood at all. Keep in mind its line of travel, and try to figure out where it was trying to go. Also, look near water, after losing a lot of blood they get thirsty.
Good luck
Old 01-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i noticed she was going pretty far 150 yards i stopped and went out for about an hour and then came back and started looking i thought with all that blood she was sure to die
I take it from this you started tracking her right away. Maybe you are new to bowhunting but this is a big no-no. Then even when you found she was still going after 150 yards you only gave her an hour.... You should have waited at least an hour before STARTING and once you realized it was not a perfect hit you should have given her another 3 or 4 hours. As for the hit it sounds like leg or shoulder to me, she may live if nothing vital was hit. I shot one last week that was missing one of its back legs halway up, and it was healing nicely...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me like you were more concearned about the bucks you were moving instead of the animal you pulled the trigger on! Tisk Tisk Tisk!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a little low and too far forward and you may have got more leg than anything else. A leg can bleed profusely do the amount of vaines and artieries that run down the leg. Put your best foot forward and look a bit more but I am going to say, your shot was not a killing shot.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I found the arrow I shot my buck with it was bright red with bubbles and lung matter all over it. It also had alot of white hair all over it. Needless to say he went 60 yds. and died mid leap (double lung/heart shot). Point being there is white hair on a deers side also mixed in with all the gray and brown.

As for my buddies buck, he shot it at 40 yds. slight quartering towards him(got it on video). We jumped him an hour later and backed out. We gave him another 5 hours and went to look for him. We tracked him 300 plus yds. He doubled back and I found his "new" trail 40 yds. back from the end of his bloodtrail. We finally found him laying in creek(water) still alive. He was dispatched quickly. Guess what my buddy had gotten one lung, the top of the heart, and liver (not including the second shot). We could not believe it when we cleaned him. We now call him the Bionic buck. Make sure she didn't turn around and head some other way, they like to be sneaky like that sometimes

Shane
Old 01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah i would check bedding areas too deer when hit like that normally bed down and as far as this deer has ran it might have tried to go back and bed down at the usual bedding place
Old 01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The doe I shot this year left a great blood trail too. I tracked her for 50 yards before I jumped her. After I jumped her though I didn't see much blood.As I watched her run over the hill I decided to back off until that afternoon. When I got back to the farm house I called for some help. After about an hour of searching and no bloodI spotted her bedded down in a ditch. I stalked up on her and finished her off.

In the end I found out that the first arrow just caught one lung. This may be what you did with your doe.

Quick Reply: shot one ( cant find it any ideas?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.