Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does human scent really work

Old 12-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does human scent really work

I was reading in a mag that if you pee by your stand deer will come in. Is does it work
Old 12-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does human scent really work

Not necessarily. Although most studies indicate that deer are not spooked by human urine, they don't necessarily come to it as an attractant either. Your best bet is to not intentionally do it however if you must go, you needn't fear the worst either.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:05 AM

That has been told for years. However, you never hear anyone who shot a big buck say they peed anywhere near the area where they took the buck. Try to keep your scent down and that includes not peeing where you hunt. I have seen a few bucks that almost made my poop myself but thats a different story.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM

i piss in every scrape i see.........any smell is quickly evaporated and the only thing left is ammonia which deer piss out as well.........so yes it can increase you chance but really if its in a fresh scrape
Old 12-29-2005, 10:21 AM

On Nov.19 I got in my stand around 7:30. About 3pm I had to go so I stood up leaned over the front and took a leak. At 5:25 i shot a main frame 9pt. with 2 extra kickers. He was @ 12yds. and downwind. I have no problem going in or around my stand and will sometimes go in a scrape. Don't know if it attracts deer(probably not) but I don't think it bothers them.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 AM

Now that we are on this subject what about takin a crap in the woods. How far do you have to go from your stand? Do you guys go throught the trouble to bury it? Just curios.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 PM

my dad shot a nice main frame 8 with a kicker on the right g2 out of a stand that he pissed out of, but i dont feel that it would attract them like others have said but dont feel that it bothers them
Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now that we are on this subject what about takin a crap in the woods. How far do you have to go from your stand? Do you guys go throught the trouble to bury it? Just curios.
Well I am lucky I hunt river bottoms. So the river is near all my stands. Just let it float down stream. Sure am glad I have a well
Old 12-29-2005, 02:41 PM

I was huntin with hazcon7 this fall, and he took a whizzz from his stand and a group of does got within 3 feet of the puddle about an hour later and they freaked out and bolted.
But maybe that's just because it was super strong "rutting" hazcon7 urine, they were afraid he would breed them....they did the right thing.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The latest research showed that bucks reacted equally well to doe estrous urine and human urine. Those two scents tied for 1st in tests conducted using various types of urines and other scents.

My own experiences have backed up this study. I have attempted to "ruin" some scrapes by urinating in them, only to see "muy grande" tearing the same scrape up when I was leaving the woods that evening. Does wouldn't leave it and continued to come back to other places I have "tested."

Quick Reply: Does human scent really work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.