Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sick feeling

Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sick feeling

I hunted the 'trail cam stand' today trying to fill my doe tag. I got in early and saw 4 small bucks the first 2 hours and then nothing till 11 when I saw 8 big toms coming straight to me. They were about 5 yards behind a big cedar that blocked my shot. Finally a 2 year old pops out 25 yards and I draw on him. No shot. I let down just as a 4 or 5 year old pops out infront of the camera at 21 yards. I rear back again and put my pin on him and release a PERFECT arrow right through the lungs. I was so pumped, I had just reamed the biggest turkey I had seen in the wild. I climbed down and found my arrow with blood and feathers on it. I go back to the truck and wait 30 minutes for good measure and follow a heavy blood trail. After about 150 yards Im still not finding him. 20 more yards and the blood just stops. I start criss crossing to pick up the trail again but never found another speck! He was going slightly down hill with a creek about 20 yards from where I lost blood. I didnt think he had enough in him to fly over the creek but I looked around anyway. I looked for 6 hours and couldnt find him. I know hes dead and I know hes a record booker. What can I do? I shot him with a small rocket fixed blade head, the same kind I killed a hen with last Dec. Im really puzzled and really sick right now. Its gonna be hard to get over this...I'll put up pics of the arrow & blood trail tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Default RE: Sick feeling

well thats a tuff one. After a hundred and fifty yards you would think if he is gonna die he would have. Honestly I don't know what to do if you leave him overnight the animals are gonna eat him. Did you get a trail cam picture of him? Good luck.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

its possible an animal found him before you did and carriedhim away?or you didn't get as great a shot as you think.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Rhody Hunter is right..either another animal got em or a hunter did...hate the people that find freshly killed game and claim it..happened to my dad a few years back...hope ya find him

Old 12-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you shoot a turkey with a broadhead and he doesn't die right then, you have to chase them down. They will hide where you will never find them. I shoot them and go after them and break their neck. Hand to hand combat with a turkey, it is a fun as it gets.