Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Default RE: WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WOULD HAVE DONE

haha that quote thing looks weird. oops
Old 12-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

I take it you were on the ground?

I would growl back, throw my arms in the air, and charge back like a maniac!!!!!!![:@]
Old 12-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't have drawn or shot. I would have talked to the dog and like it turned out, most of the time a collared dog won't attack. A bow wouldn't have done ya much good on a charging dog that close. I would however used the bow as a club if he'd attacked keeping the bow between me and the dog....we weren't there with you but it sounds like it turned out okay.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:07 PM

Shot it immediately, then finish the "3 S's".
Old 12-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

macho, macho man.....
Old 12-26-2005, 11:20 PM

yeah, that's right. LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

No way of knowing the correct choice:

One of my hunting partners was attacked by a large uncollared dog while he was still-huntingto his stand (muzzleloading) just over a week ago here in MD.The dog immediately came at him - he fired,missed,but thedog still charged at him. (hard to imagine doing any better with a bow...). The doggrabbedhis left arm held up indefense,and he managed to disembowlthe dog with his knife. Fortunately it was a cold day -he had lots of clothing on (no damage to his hide), and a hunting knife in an outside sheath.

I was confronted by a pack of 6 dogs while spring turkey hunting on my dad's farm in VA~25 yrs ago. I was seated against a tree, yelping away, and heard them coming. When I first saw them, I was ticked as they were ruining my set up. The dogs came running right up tome; I leveled my gun not knowing what to expect, and in an instantthey had me encircled just 15 ft away. There were two collared houndsin the bunch, the rest were uncollared mixed breeds.I had only three shells in the gun, ummm 6 dogs. We stared at each other, safety off & scared out of my wits. When thealpha(?) dog let out a low growl, Iyelled "BEAT IT!!" The pack broke off and ran off to find someother hapless victim. I was too scared and too pissed tocontinue hunting, my knees were shaking... Just a few years later in the same area, two feral dogs came at me while I fall turkey hunting - they closed in on me barking and growling, perhaps they did not recognize my camo as a human form-three shells, two dogs, no contest...

While I agree that most collared dogs have no interest in your hide, there can beexceptions. I was attacked by acollaredbeagle~ 20 yrs ago in anon-hunting situation.I walked up to about20 feet from the dog in a field (public land), and it started to grrrrr. The owner was not there. I stooped down, sayingfriendly things to calm himdown - the attack was completely unexpected, thebeagle was on me in an instant andbiting into my inner thigh before I could even begin to think ofdefending myself.Fortunately, the dogbroke off the attack as fast as it began. I foundthe owner ("thedogdoesn't bite" - yeah,sure(at leasthis rabies shots were up to date)) and had my say - the blood, bruises and tetanus shot left me wary of any dog that growls.

-fsh
Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen plenty of dogs while gun hunting before. One was a freaky wolf like dog. I always put my gun on them but have never needed to shoot. I would do it in an instant though if I needed to. Also the bow idea is bad. I think it is likely you would have missed. I would have put the bow down and grabbed two broadheaded arrows to be used as spears.

Tom
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't shoot. Not with a bow. I would, however, have a stout stick and a big honkin' knife in my hands, ready to go hand-to-fang with the dog if I had to.That way, they could never accuseme of doing anything other than defending myself. If I got a couple of bite marks out of it, I'd have a lawyer all over the owner's arse too.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. Ya I know I probably would have missed with the bow but it was all I had at the time. I didn't want to move to much not knowing what he would have done. But I am definetly going to wear my knife on the out side of me now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.