Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about respect....

Old 12-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Default RE: question about respect....

I also had a great spot with no one elsehunting it for years, well until this year and even though it pissed me off to no end I held back from saying anything. For one thing I like everyone to have a good time hunting and where it's not my land I don't make the rules.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they're supposed to be your friends and they know the place simply because you shared, then they simply arent friends. I would not use a friends spot without being invited and would expect the same from my friends. PERIOD!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

so how would handle the situation? keep in mind that the person in question is not someone that i can just push aside.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

fl.huntress - Ihear your pain.Since you've already discussed the situation with him without civil resoluton, your options are limited.

Here's a suggestion of last resort:If someone is using the "it's public land" argument and that you (correctly) do not have exclusive rights to it, turn the tables on him.Load up the area with your trusted friends who understandyour situation and are willing to give up some hunting days. Whenandif (??) the lowbrowgets the message, your friends will return it to you in peace... Bear in mindthe lowbrow could do the same, a lose-lose situation.

If the situation does not resolve peacefully, then either be willing to share it or find a new spot, and remember the lesson.

I have lost treasured spots in the past (i.e. new landowner stops all hunting), leaving mebetter motivatedto discover new treasures. I now have access to more land than I can properly hunt, just in case...

-fsh
Old 12-26-2005, 09:42 PM

judging from your handle you're a woman. is this person respecting other men in your groups areas and not yours because the person doesn't respect women in general?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

I deal with the same thing.But usually a skitter sovles the problem for us.It's hard to fight over a clearcut.I agree with gut check.Find a new group of friends.Next time don't let anyone know where your spot is.Unless you have to retrieve game,and then I would just get your husband to help you.I mean atleast one person needs to know your spotincase something were to happen.Who else would you trust?There's really nothing else you can do.If you have to ask them to stay away from your spot,then you need to ditch them.I don't mind helping people,but I can't stand it when someone goes behind me,and hunts my spots.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:00 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killer243

TJF
A couple weeks ago Tyler hunted one of the spots and passed on a good130 class 4 pt at 12 yards. Tomorrow we are going to huntanother oneof these spots.
when you say 4 pt you mean an 4x4 like an 8 pt right? because if you mean 2x2 4 pt that thing would be huge!!
4x4... We useWestern Count. Should really use eastern count on the forums since most use it...but anold dog learning new tricks comes to mind. Course the wife says I am just stubborn. [:'(] If we had a 130 Classforky running around... Tyler better not be passing on him!!!

Tim
Old 12-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: fl.huntress

so how would handle the situation? keep in mind that the person in question is not someone that i can just push aside.
Communication. And more communication.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

My family owns 300 acres in Central Wi and we have many stands, theres only 3 of us that bow hunt it some times 4 or 5. But we all respect eachothers stands. We all chip in to help one another find a location and hang stands. If someone asks the others to not hunt it, it wont get hunted in respect to the others request. But if nothing is said we ask the other person or owner of the stand if it is ok to hunt it, if one of our stands are burnt out. If they say no, we respect that or if they say yes and a deer is harvested, that deer is devided between the two hunters. But really we have enough stands in many locations that noone really has a problem with sharing or moving from stand to stand. Ive never really hunted much county land so I cant really say what you should do, I know if I were your friends I would respect your decission.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 AM

This is a two part response.

First, if you friend does not respect the fact that this has been your honey hole for years, then he is not a good friend. If the two of you found it and scouted it together that is one thing but if it was yours exclusively and he is now moving in, that is just a lack of respect or character as Arthur suggested.

Secondly, you said it's on public land so your right, you have no rights to it. Even if your friend does not hunt it, you have no idea who is. Someone else may think they are guarding it for themselves and being careful not to leave sign that you will see. A friend of mine said something when we found a nice spot on Federal land. "You can bet that if we found it, twenty other people know about it also." I was hunting it on Friday and another hunter walked within 60 yards of me before he saw me waving my arms.

I wouldn't scout it while they were hunting there just to screw up their chances. That will only escalate an already bad situation. Who knows what kind of retribution they will come up with. Just chalk it up to a learning experience on who your true friends are.

Quick Reply: question about respect....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.