Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I getting busted...

Old 12-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Am I getting busted...

One other thing I forgot to mention is do you remember as a kid ever lighting a firecracker in the snow? Do you recall how the smoke just lingers around for awhile? There's a reason for that. Have you ever noticed that when you walk out into a fresh snow covered woods everthing smells so much more powerful. Snow is porious and will hold sent down closer to the ground and will contain odor. It's small little things like these that as you spend time in God's magnifesent glory we call the woods that you will begin to hone these skills and develop as you go on. okay I've reveiled enough secrets for this Christmas.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im not buying all this. I personally dont wear rubber boots very often. I shot 1 deer this year that came down the same trail that i walked in on. I shot her from the ground didnt even make it into the tree. There is always someone running around out there, weather it is a farmer checking fence, small game hunter, kids building their famous forts and we see alot of deer. I have seen deer hunderds of yards off walking through a alpapha field, just stop pick up their head and haul! For what reason? Who knows, they are mysterous critters. Have you ever had one coming in and all of a suden it 45 off the other direction. Did it bust you, maybe but probly not. It just wanted to head that way. Next time it will 45 to ya who knows. If they arent picking their tail up and 86ing out of there i dont think it is you. Heck the one I shot from the ground as i was trailing her i had to wizz. So I did. Walked back throught there 45 minutes later and 2 deer had not only walked on top of my tracks but the peed right next to where i did!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could try Elimatrax over your boots. I have not used them but have a few buddies who swear by them. I use all the scent free soap, deodorant, body and hair deodorant, and scent blocker. Everything including my equipment (bow,treestand, etc.)is wiped down with White Lightening or something similar. My buddy and I never enter the woods without doing all of the above, and right before we step into the woods the boots are doused in White Lightening. We see more deer every year than anyone we know, and we do alot of videa taping which means twice the scent in one area at a givin time. Our theory is you cannot do enough to beat the nose of a whitetail as they live by what it tells them.

Shane
Old 12-27-2005, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Im not buying all this... There is always someone running around out there, weather it is a farmer checking fence, small game hunter, kids building their famous forts and we see alot of deer.
I don't discount scent control at all but I have similar thoughts as you. There is always someone out and about in the woods. The deerjust cannotbe doing a 180 at every set of humanfoot printsthey come across. Ifthat were the case, they'd be running around in circles 'cause there's people tracks all over the place.

While out today I was extra paranoid about my prints and thus was wearing the grocery bags I talked about. I was even so careful as to not step on other prints I saw out there in fear I'd pick up someone else's scent and drag it along with me rendering my plastic bags pointless.

Where is the line between reasonable scent control and plain paranoid silliness?