Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe Behaviour

Old 12-24-2005, 06:37 AM

Default Doe Behaviour

Earlier this week, I was on stand in S.D. clearing does off of a friends farm.

I had fallen asleep and awoke to some noise commng from my right. There was a doe about 10 feet! not yards away from me looking right at me! She was grunting, hissing, and stomping her feet. this went on for a good 10 minutes.

While she was doing this I sat very still, but every once in a while she would look behind her. I took these oportunities to reposition myself. I am a right hader, and she was on my right, so I had to turn completley around. I never made it all the wy before she took off eith her two fawns (I didnt see them until she left.)

My question is....... What was she doing? What is this behaviour? I have never seen this before. I figured she nailed me, but in past experience, if they nail me, they jut ran. another thought was that she was trying to scare me off. My friend thinks that she didn't know what I was, but knew somthing looked different, or sensed something was wrong and was not grunting at me, but warning her fawns.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Doe Behaviour

She knew something was different in that treeand was trying to get a reactionout of you. You were probably snoaring, soshe thought a buck was chokeing and was preparing to give you the hinny lick manuver.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Doe Behavior

same thing happened to me when i was in a stand. i use a hanging harness and was only up about 8 ft. she spotted me but didn't run. simply walked around me in a 20 ft arc. stopped as i drew on another doe following her who didn't see me. she saw my movement and wheezed, stomped and eyeballed me for a good 20 min. the game ended when i called it quits due to the fact that it was almost pitch dark. that behavior is a way of sawing i see you but don't know what you are if anything IMO. they know somethings up but aren't afraid to the point where you see the white sign.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

She suspected you were danger and she wanted you to move
to confirm it.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:56 PM

I had that happen to me a couple of days ago. I was in a tripod and a doe with two other younger deer came up and she came five yards from the tripod, looked up, seeing me. She flopped over, didn't even snort it scared her so bad and she and the others tore out running. But in a few minutes, she walked back within fifteen yards behind the tripod, and stood there for ten minutes snorting continueously. I wanted to shoot her, but she had me, and I could get a clear shot. I thought she'd scare the other deer away, but a spike came later. I think she assumed you were trouble, but wasn't sure and wanted you to make it obvious. I ended up killing that doe the same afternoon.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:01 PM

Default RE: Doe Behaviour

Thanks for the info fellas!

Well I guess the good news is that I didnt smell or look lke a human, otherwise, she wouldn't have bothered, and just bolted. It is nice to see my due diligence pay off! Maybe I'll have to wear those bandaid thngs on my nose so I dont snore when I sleep in the stand!

Hey! Another tip! I was able to call in a few does in the other day. The farmer (owner) on my (well, his) land uses bags of corn for feed (hogs). The does in the area know the sound of the corn bag. I had a bag of jerkey in the stand and it was somewhat frozen in the bottom. I gave it a few shakes to loosten some stuck jerkey from the bottom. A Doe came running in! I was not prepared to shoot because I was jerking around with the jerkey. I filled my tag 3 minutes later on another doe. I tried it again out of boerdom (I had a buddy about 300 yards away and I didnt want to jump any of his deer) and called in another one. Later that night I called in the same doe. Funny how this jerkey bag sounded similar to a bag of corn and hoe they pick up on that.