Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your best hunting story........

Old 10-14-2002, 09:59 AM

Default your best hunting story........

Now what is your best hunting story??? Can be of anything as long as it's true and you were in the woods when it happened. It can also be one that your buddy told you.

This isn't a story right here but it might be. You know them pesky little grey things... some people call them squirels? They'er going down this year. Last year they ticked me off major. Well this year i'm carring 5 arrows in my quiver 4 with broadheads and 1 with a small game shocker head on it. I told my friends that if they see a squirel flying through the air with an arrow in it that it was me. I mean it!! haha. If one just ticks me off again this year i'm shooting it off the tree branch that it sits on!!! hahaha
anyway good luck to everybody and keep them stories coming

Knuckles up>>> Brian

Old 10-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: your best hunting story........

Last year I took my wife to Georgia and dropped her off, and hauled butt back home. Everything was packed for a weekender and it was still a one and a half hour drive after I got home and left the Volvo for the truck.

It was around noon when I got to the woods, and set up camp. I ate a quick lunch, then went to my favorite spot, a half mile away.

Some logging roads intersected forming a "T" shape and in the middle of it was a briar patch seven to eight feet across and almost four feet high. I sat in this blind with two shooting lanes and waited. I heard several deer moving in the thick growth of five year old pines, however none came out of the dense treeline.

Three hours later, my stomach rumbling from hunger, I returned to camp and built a fire. All I put on it was small sticks so it would build fast and gives some hot coals for supper. While I waited I got the food from the cooler and put the chicken on a spit.

This was no ordinary bird. It was a rotisserie chicken from Publix grocery store. I also had baked beans and potato salad. Ice cold Coca-cola to wash it all down. The coals grew hot and I placed my yardbird over the heat with loving care, the beans and tater salad were heated on the Coleman stove. Yum-yum!

Well. After the burps and farts were over I went for an evening hunt. All I saw were a hen turkey, a few squirrels, a coon and a possum. As it got dark I headed back in, fighting the spiderwebs with eightlegged freaks the size of your hand. I wondered if tomorrow would be a bust just like today.

Back at camp I stoked the fire and popped open a cold beer and wondered what tomorrow would bring. My eyes grew heavy so I set the alarm on my pager so I would wake up at 5:30 am.

BEEP,BEEP,BEEP. Time to get up and make the coffee. Pull out the bacon and eggs Build a small fire to warm my toes. Can you believe this? It's Florida and there is frost on the ground! UUMMM, smell the bacon cooking! Go ahead, toss the eggs in with them. It's only bacon grease!

After eating and ...well... you know, taking the morning porcelain bus ride, I hiked in a half mile to my favorite spot.

Just after legal shooting hours a doe walks into view from down the logging road. Straight toward me. at five yards away she turns and walks down a trail. Afew minutes later it happens again, and again! They are not traveling in groups. I see one every few minutes.

Boy howdy! a spike just showed up. He didn't come down the road. He just stops and sniffs the air. Then he takes a few steps and stops. He sniffs the air again. He is now fifteen yards away. He walks towards me again and stops. Once more he sniffs the air. Slowly he turns his eyes toward me. Did he see me? Evidently not because he takes a few more steps, sniff and jerks his head in my direction. As he lowers his head and looks right at me he leaps straight up and runs right passed me! Dang! Busted!

As I thought that I might as well pack up and go back to camp a strange noise floated through the air. I looked down the road just in time to see a huge buck step out of the tree line.

One point,2,3,4 don't count the points! It'll only mess you up! stop shaking leg! 5,6,7, don't even look at the rack!

Before I knew it he was only ten yards away! He stopped and sniffed the air. Slowly he looks left, then looks right. He sniffs the air again. He just walked toward me again. He is only five yards away! Thats only fifteen feet. I could spit on him.He sniffed the air again, and spun around looking in the other direction.

I slowly drew my bow. A "texas heart shot" is better than no shot at all.

Well he must have heard me or my bow 'cause he spun around again and stared right into my eyes. He step toward me and then turned broadside to walk down the trail toward the does. All I heard was my pager going BEEP,BEEP,BEEP.

DANG!

Tim to get up and make the coffe! Wow, what a dream!

FOOLPROOF?
Never underestimate the power of a fool!
Old 10-15-2002, 06:37 PM

that's one story come on guys i know there are more than just one story out there check mine on my opening day hunt of this year posted as opening day disaster

Old 10-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

thats a good one thundermug,lol.years ago i watched a video on ground huntin monster bucks and it look like alot of fun and a big challange so i decided to try it.now i was fully aware that i most likly wouldn't have a monster buck run me over like they did on that video but i figure a doe,small buck anything just to see if i could do it.i know of a spot that had a nice double trunked tree and the trunks were about a foot apart and 2 1/2 feet around,just enough room to hide between.it was located in a natural funnel that led from there bedding ground to a crop feild.the stand was 10 yards in the woods from the cut bean feild.i got there about 1 in the afternoon it was very warm(around 60 degrees) and discoverd that there was a clump of prickers surrounding the tree.so i set my gear down and began clipping the prickers away.i was just about finnished when i heard somthing out in the field,i peeked around one of the trees to see a small buck walking along the feild edge from my right to left.the deer was already less then 20 yards away and getting closer fast.i figured he was going to keep walking the edge so i put my face mask on and made my draw inbetween the the two big trunks and waited for him to apear.he never apeared,i peeked around the right side of the tree to discover he had turned and was walking right at me.now at full draw i had to get the bow around the opposite side of the tree without him seeing me,i thought "ohh man this ain't ever gonna happen" he's less then five yards away and coming fast.i did it then waited,fisrt i saw his head,neck then the vitals.now this deer is so close that if i were to relax my bow the arrow sticking out would have touched this deer.i put the pin on the vitals and let it fly,perfect shot with a slight down angle becouse he was so close.i marked the bucks escape route then heard him pile up.i then went for my arrow.i measured 8 feet to my arrow,now mind you this is after it went thru the deer.i quickly found my buck(about 70 yards away)it was a small(very small) 5 point.a small deer yes but in 30 years of huntin it was and is one of my most memorable hunts.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:05 PM

It was the last day of the 2000 rifle season in PA (blew many chances at buck during archery) and me and 2 of my friends were hunting on a private farm. Well the first drive of the day was put on at around noon. I was positoned sitting in the base of a split tree when I heard somethin to my right, i turned to see a decent buck runnin towards me. One shot from my 243 hit him right in the shoulder and he stumbled sideways. After we field dressed my deer and put him in the truck we went out for my drives. The next drive produced nothin so there was only time for one more drive. I decided to drive for my friend who had not gettin a buck yet, so i am pushing this hilltop when I hear a shot. A couple minutes later I got to the top of the hill only to see a 6 point lying there gasping for air. Well my friend was there quickly and finished him off with a shot to neck. It was a great day afield, 2 buck taken on the last day, making out crew 5 for 5 on buck for the year.