Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

USA Today Article - FYI

Old 12-22-2005, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: USA Today Article - FYI

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

We imported the deer.

Huh?[&:]
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was talking about exotics there but whitetails today are still imported across state lines - so much so that each state has set limitations on where deer can be imported from due to chronic wasting disease and tuburculosis (sp?).

From Boone and Crockett's website:
The distribution of entries from 1830-1979 reflects the history of whitetail deer in the United States. During the late 1800s and early 1900s, whitetails were extremely rare in many states and had become extinct in some.
Deer were transplanted back into these low producing states.

Mind you, I'm not complaining in the slightest - I'm just making a note here.If we want to lower the population of deer then we have to change the way we approach it. Sharpshooters might be the answer in a few cases but the best approach would be to let the licensed and qualified bowhunters have more access and tostart practicing more QDM for the purpose of balance like FSH said instead of the purpose of producing mega giants and large herds. Just my 4 cents.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

- Nice article, thanks for sharing it.

-Ditto bowfanatic...
furthermore,
ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Now we have QDM...all in means of producing bigger and better, and MORE deer!
A primary goal of QDM is to get the deer herd in balance with the environment - which includes managing for FEWER deer where there is an overpopulation.
-fsh