Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Quiet" Crossbow?

Old 12-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Quiet" Crossbow?

Crossbows are a good example of speed both thrilling and killing . A quiet crossbow ? Ain't no such animal , the best you can hope for is dampening the noise. Get the one that impresses you most and is in your price range , shoot as many as you can before deciding. My vote would be for any Excalibur model , great crossbows and they have far fewer things that can go wrong than a compoundmodel .
Old 12-23-2005, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Barnett RC-150

Price isn't a huge factor. Would like to find something under $500.

Is this the Barnett you're referring to?

That is the newer version of it. Sadly, I don't think it is as good in terms of quality as the previous model. The local shop has had quite a few of the new version brought back for repairs. The older verison of it was more reliable. Barnett only changed style in 2005 so you might be able to find the 2004 model in some shops, online sites or possibly Ebay. It had solid limbs and a gray, green and black blotch camo pattern.

That Tenpoint model I mentioned was priced right at $500 for the package deal. If you are willing to spend that much then I would not see a point in buying a less expensive model. The Tenpoint delivers in terms of speed, durability, construction and noise (relatively speaking to other crossbows). Slap on a set of limbsavers and some string silencers and it should offer a very nice, quiet package.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It shots at 330 fps acording to the local crongraph down at the archery store and is a dead on nock buster, so I feel that outways the sound.

Unless your bow is shooting as fast as the speed of sound I dont really think it would outway the sound or however you wanna put it .. JMO
Old 12-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone know of any comprehensive studieson crossbowlike are publishedfor rifles and bows? Could be a good articleidea foran outdoor magazine.