Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

treestand lube

Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Default treestand lube

so now that it freezing cold out, my treestand is making alot of creaking noises. i think of i lube up where the noise is coming from i should be fine. my only question is what do i use that wouldnt stink and spook them away? butter maybe?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: treestand lube

Thats a tough one. There is an oil available that supposedly has no scent to it; its made for you bow. It should work but I'm not sure how long it would last. It seems to me that the rain might wash it away in a few days.

I've got a stand doing the same thing, and I'm considering saving some of the fat from inside the body cavity of the next doe kill to use as a lubricant. It should work and it should not wash off.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its called winter fellas. They all do it
Old 12-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Something I do to my stands after season is over is to take them all apart and place old scent wafers in between all the contact point and then wrench them down hard.(You will have to drillholes in the wafers so they fit like washers) I have never had any of my stands sqeak or mak any noise at all. I also drill pilot holes into all the tubes and fill them with spray in expanding insulation. makes the stands super quiet in all climates and conditions. Just thought I would add that. ~Jeff
Old 12-21-2005, 10:06 AM

sounds like a good idea. im going to try butter today, but when i take my stands down after the season is closed ill do that.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great idea, zingnut
Old 12-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Anything animal based such as butter or deer fat will soon go rancid and stink like crazy to the deer .
Try melting some unscented paraffin wax into the joints , it's waterproof and should last for a few outings at least .
Old 12-21-2005, 10:05 PM

well i used butter already. and it fixed the noises. it quiet now. the temps will be below freezing for a good few months, andseasons over in12 daysso im not worried about it going rancid.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

I use Pam
Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Read an article in Bowhunting World where the auther normally uses vaseline to quiet his stands down. Maybe that would work for cold conditions as well.

Quick Reply: treestand lube

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.