Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How sweet it is, standing the test of time...

Old 12-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default How sweet it is, standing the test of time...

Well I took the plunge back into archery.....

I was into bow hunting and archery from mid 70's into the mid 80's. Shot almost everyday and was quite handy with a bow. Many deer and hogs fell to an XX75 and Razorback heads.I loved to just shoot back then and got out of it when the cams were an eexperimental thing and 3D shooting in my area didnt exsist yet. At the time I was shooting a Jenning's Arrowstar free style for tournements and an Arrowstar set up for hunting. For the younger folks here, they were the finest bow made at the time, shot an incredible 185+ fps and used 2 eccentrics and 2 wheels and the ever popular "shark fin" design. Things just couldnt get anybetter for me back then until.........this happened...

I met the girl that eventually I married. You know something happens when you have 2 love interest in your life...one of them will suffer. I slowly quit shooting, spent more and more time with her and then ...nothing...I only wanted to be with my girlfriend. When I was shooting I gave alot of effort and time into being the best that I could be, I believe the game one hunts deserves a quick clean killing shot and it only comes with practice. I wasnt able to do that anymore and for the last 22 years my bows have sat there in my gun room, vanes and feathers crumbling from there shafts, my leather glove still wrapped around the bow grip.....

It wasnt a couple of weeks ago while hunting deerup in Saskatchewan with a rifle that the urge to pick up a bow was getting stronger inside of me. My nephew that was with me is an avid and well accomplished bowhunter and tried bowhunting 2 days in 0 to 10 degrees but being from south Texas he couldnt handle the cold....well I couldnt have either up in a tree stand. But anyways, he has tried to convince me to get backinto it and has finally done it.

Once again, the passion was coming back to me and Friday him and I went shopping for a bow for me. We went to a local proshop and Wow..was I amazed at all the new technologies out on the
market today. He has shot them all, Mathews, Parkers, Hoyts , and currently shoots a Bowtech and has just ordered another( but that's another story). He has told me and I have to agree not to get caught up in the "brand wars" , just get a bow that fits you well and and can shoot well. When I was shooting 25 some odd years ago I shot right handed bows but had to patch my left eye to do so. I had no idea about eye dominance back then. Being older and wiser now, along with some reccomendations from other's I wanted to try shooting a left handed bow. I am a strongly right handed guy and had a fear of not even being able to draw a leftie, but my fears didnt pan out. I did just fine but it's a bit awkward to say the least doing stuff wrong handed but I am confident it will get easier with time.

While at the archery shop I shot 8 different bows fromMathews,Bowtech, PSE and Hoyt. While I can honestly say all of them are top notch and are great bows....much much better than anything made years ago I finally settled on 2 bows I felt that were the best for me. Both were Hoyt's...a 06 Trykon and a 05 V tech. I ended up taking the Trykon XL home with me along with all the essentials. I maybe shot about an hour in the shop was getting tight groups at 20 yards with field points after the sights and peep was set. Man, this is a sweet set up... fast, smooth, quiet and recoil free.

The next morning, Saturday I awoke and decided to go and shoot some broadheads to see how they reacted and to see if any adustments were needed. Sure enough, I had to make some windage changes but no big deal. At 20 yards I can stack em up with the 125 grain Thunderheads. I had only bought 6 arrows the night before and within a few shots I was down to 4 due to taking a nock off one and cutting 2 vanes off another.
I decided to move the target out to 30 yards and was able to get consistant 3-4 inch groups with the broadheads so I called it good. My nephew showed up and was watching all of this and shook his head, not believing it.....he said are you sure you havent shot in all that time.....
Then he said, ya know we need to go hunting this evening and I agreed, he went out with a pop-up and was trying for a pig with a new Kimber 45 auto he just got and went to and old tree stand he had put up years ago. Well for me, right before dark some hogs showed up and at 25 yards a nice young 85lbsow fell due to an arrow flung from the bow I had just got the night before.

With all this said, I dont want to come off as tooting my horn but I am just excited about my new passion I have....... flinging arrows again!
And to tell someone that it can be done....I had not picked up or shot a bow in 22 years and found out at least for me it's like riding a bicycle, once ya learn how you never forget and you are never to old.

Last night I went to Cabelas and purchased me everything I need to start a small arrow building business, man I cant wait to get the glue on my fingers again

BTW, it seems that it's cool to post what you are shooting so here it goes...

06 Hoyt Trkon XL
Beeman MFX Max 4 340
125 gr Thunderhead
Toxonics Top Dog Sight
Jones Itty Bitty Goose
Alpine Soft Loc Quiver
Hoyt Stabilizer
NAP Quick Tune 4000 fall away
String Peep and loop
String Leeches

Old 12-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How sweet it is, standing the test of time...

Bar B Que for Christmass , welcome back ,man its fun .
Old 12-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story. Congradulations.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. I'm glad I took the time to read this whole post because it's awesome. It seems like you did everything right when it came to choosing a bow and clearly you've seen the benefits of doing so already. Good luck in your arrow building endeavors and we hope to see you around the board for a long time to come.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Excellent post - Congrats!

PS - is it me or does he look abitlike Cliff from Cheers?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome back to the community! Good choice of bow there too.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

congrats man...thats very exciting
Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats man and welcome back!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, your story is a great one...

There are a few of us here that would love to know what your bow chrono's as well as your arrow weight and draw length as well as the poundage you shoot. There is a good possibility you don't know your speed but I was hoping to get some real numbers from a hunting setup out of the Trykon XL.

Congratulations again and keep up the good work!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great story, great choice on bows, welcome back.

Quick Reply: How sweet it is, standing the test of time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.