Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow kill

Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Default First bow kill

I finally did it I shot my first deer. I was on the ground on some public land and had a button buck walk right up to me. I drew back and he heard me ( I thought aww man its over ) well the deer stopped and looked at me I was at full draw and it started stomping its feet. Well I was trying for a shot in the chest ( I know not the best of shots ) but he steped behind a tree. He came back out from behind the tree partially he was at 20 yards and I decided I couldn't hold the bow back anymore it was now or never so I settled my pin on him as low as I could go and released my arrow, OHHH NOOO when i released I pulled my bow and sent the arrow off course. The arrow did hit the deer but it hit him just behind the ear and droped him. I didn't mean to hit him there and felt really bad afterwards but it did the job and I got some meat for the freezer. What do you all think about the shot humane or inhumane. What are some of the oddest shots you guys have ever taken?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First bow kill

Saltflat, first of all, congrats! secondly, my first deer was similar, a small doe, I was holing for the lungs but my shot hit her detween the ear and the eye, and kileld her instantly. keep practicing, and now that you have one under your belt you won't be as nervous or as impatient to take a questionable shot, and hopefully the next on will be rightwhere you aim! As for ethical, well, it was a mistake, so I wouldn't say it was unethical (maybe a little lucky!)

Congrats again!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:34 PM

Congrats on your first bow deer. I don't see where a head shot is inhumane b/c it kills them instantly. I would practice some more so it doesnt happen again. I agree w/ rooster about the luck part. It could have been worse and hit in a non-vital area. Congrats again.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, luckily you got the deer and he wasnt just wounded. Just goes to show you, practice practice practice.Then practice some more. I would say anytime an animal is killed quickly its humane but obvioulsy you know your shot was lucky so just learn from that and you'll be fine. Getting the first one under the belt is always a good thing.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

good job...just keep practicing witht the bow, you did kill her, but just think if it had hit her leg or something, that would have been miserable
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 AM

The weird thing about it is before I went out I shot Probably a dozen arrows at 20 yards and all were dead on. I think it was just buck fever or something. Harvesting a deer with a bow is so much better than shooting them with a gun. I am hooked now.