Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck pattern changes with seasons?

Old 12-18-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Buck pattern changes with seasons?

As most of us know, movement patterns change as food sources run out or change.

Pertinent to my situation: I'm after a buck that marked his presence onto7-8 trees back during the rut.2 weeks ago I came upon a spot withinthis marked areawhere I think he bedded down and melted away the snow. It had to be him or a huge doe 'cause the bed was much too large to be from a small deer. Anyway, the gun season there ended Dec 11 and I've left the area quiet and untouched since, hoping it would give him time to return to his normal patterns.

Now my questions are:

Is it likely that he is still in that same area defending his same territory? Consider that acorns have since been picked clean and all the deer are zoning in on nearby cornfields. Also that this is central WI and theprimary rut has ended.Would this buck still be hanging out where I saw the rubs and is just traveling to and fro the cornfields? Or would it be more likely that he has moved onto a new area that's closer to the food? No, I do not know where the nearest cornfield is. Does anyone know what the general pattern of territorial bucks is -as in- they defend their breeding grounds then move on? Or do they stay there all year round?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck pattern changes with seasons?

Find his core area by food. He's doesn't have any reason to stick around his rutting area anymore. Plus that area is going to be too big. You hunt near Stevens Point. I hunt in WI too!