Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your delima on stands, hang vs climbing

Old 12-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Default whats your delima on stands, hang vs climbing

I figure I'd post this in the bowhunting section as stand placement is the prolly one of the most important aspects of bhng.

First I just want to describe my perfect stand. Its lightweight, like a hang-on stand. Its small and packs up flat, like most hang on stands and some of the climbers. I believe the TL packs flat too. My stand will fit any tree, no tree too big or small. And its got a big seat for comfort. And you can put it up and take it down like a climber with ease and almost no noise.

Yeah, might as well keep dreaming. The problem I have with my summit is its not flat when packed, which is a problem for me when walking in brush, all the little twigs seem to slap agains the metal and when I turn around the stand touches everything in sight just about. It is very comfortable but some trees that I find in the perfect spot are either too big or too small. I have had the idea to take a good hang on stand with me and put it up and down like a climber> I have the smallest Gorilla hang on stand and its very easy to put up and very light. The problem is the seat, not very comfortable. I like to hunt all day so I need a climbing stand seat in a hang on stand frame.

Well has or does anyone else do this with a hang on stand? I have one in a perfect spot right now adn like I said I hunt all day. so its a pain to stay in that little thing all day but the tree is too big for a climber. The seat on this little thing is about half the size of a 5 gallon bucket.......cut right down the middle. Very small. The only thing that keeps my mind off the "pain" is seeing deer.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:20 PM

Default RE: whats your delima on stands, hang vs climbing

I would get the Summit broadhead backpack it's really light and gets nice and flat. and you can climb very easy with it.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

"I" would keep the stand I had....and get the supplemental strap on seat that some of the mfg's are selling, today. You could strap on the new seat to the tree above your current one.

Problem solved.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My perfect stand....Lightweight, silent, 360 degree shooting mobility, comfortable....

Old 12-19-2005, 12:22 PM

I've used a Loc-on for many years. Light, Flat, sets up quickly in a lot of different types of trees.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

After some research.....

I'm likely going to use the LW alpha hang-on, next season. I can either take down the last couple of sets of climbing sticks (If I'm gonna hunt the same spot...next day)....or leave the hanging hook there....and take the stand down with me. If I go this route.....I'll buy some of th eextra hanging hooks....and put them in the trees I hunt out of to save time when arriving in the field.

If you already knew the trees you were going to hunt (which I do).....you could install those ropes with the ratchet-type acsending aids to them, pre-season. I know people like to steal stands.....but I don't think they'd go out of their way to steal someone's safety equipment, ALONE.

Just my opinion....

Jeff
Old 12-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Spike

Jeff, I went with the alpha hang on system this season. You won't be disappointed. I bought 4 hooks so I can have 3 permanent locations. For the perm locations I use the cranford steps and leave just the hooks. I also have the lone wolf sticks that I only use for portable stand placement. It's a good system. It just takes some practice to get up a tree quickly with the sticks.