. so i dont think it would be wise..." />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hang on stands

Old 12-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hang on stands

Yeah it has a hammock-like seat that you can sit in or stand. It's pretty comfortable. I have actually fallen asleep in mine. It does take some getting used to but for certain situations it's perfect. I use it when I want tobe mobile and I don't trust other hunters to leave my fixed stands alone. LIke I said, nobody can hunt your tree and you don't have to worry about thiefs stealing your stands. I set up 4 or 5 trees with screw in steps and then decide which one to hunt that day based on wind, sign, etc. Some guys use the Ameristep strap on steps in a backpack or a Lone Wolf climbing stick. The best thing is you can silently move around the tree to stay out of sight of the deer until you are ready to shoot. I shot a buck that came from my right this year by moving 180 degrees around the tree to get him onmy left. You can literally shoot any direction - even behind you. That's the best part about it. Cabelas sells them. They're a bit pricey ($200) but if you consider that it replaces all your portable stands it's a bargain.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep one thing in-mind when you are shopping for that next stand. You are putting your life in it's hands! When you buy a bow do you look for the lowest priced model available? How about arrows, or broadheads?? Kind-of cracks me up when guys spend $1,000.00 on a bow set-up, and $40.00 on a stand that they are using at 20ft up in a tree!

Lot's of good ones out there, but remember, you get what you pay for!
Old 12-19-2005, 10:18 AM

I agree, but there ARE 40 dollar stands that are SAFE...you pay a LOT extra for other features, but you sure don't have to spend a lot of money just to get a safe stand.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing about the saddle is that you have pressure on your feet at all times because that's all that keeps you from kissing the trunk of the tree. I've done the same thing with my rock climbing harness and it's okay for a short hunt in an unusual spot, but I prefer sitting on a stand. Gorilla has some nice inexpensive stands at walmart ~$50. Pretty comfortable but I don't like chains too much.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Talondale

The thing about the saddle is that you have pressure on your feet at all times because that's all that keeps you from kissing the trunk of the tree.
THAT'S what I was afraid of...my knees have been giving me a lot of grief lately, and I'm afraid I'd get uncomfortable...and "an uncomfortable hunter is a lousy hunter".
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's true - you normally do have pressureon your feet. But I've found that by lengthening the strap and putting tree steps in the right spot I can actually sit in mine to take pressure off my feet when necessary. You're right - they're not for everybody. But for me personally it is more comfortable than my platform stand and I like the added mobility and shooting flexibility. You have to weigh the benefits vs the costs. I still use my ladder stand when I'm on private property because it's comfortable, secluded, and nobody will steal it. But there is something primitively satisfying about hanging in a tree waiting for your prey. It's like you're a part of the tree hence part of nature. I feel more connected to my surroundings in the sling. I also blend in more in the sling that I do when sitting on platform stands.You just look like you're part of the tree - more so than with a fixed stand or a ladder stand. I think deer are getting better at spotting treestandsup in trees because that's how everybody hunts now days. I feel like the ultimate stalker when I slowly creep around the tree at full draw with total stealth-like silence so the animal never knows I'm there. What a rush!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:14 PM

It sounds really cool...I'd sure like to try one and see if my legs could hack it...but at that price I'm gonna have to wait awhile. I don't know what is more bothersome, the fact that my 5 kids are keeping me broke , or that my 38 yr old knees feel like they're 90.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look into the Rivers Edge hang ons, the "cheap" one is the bandit, can be had for roughly $50ish, might even catch em on sale now. I have two of these, both the chain on model and they are VERY solid, easy to hand and comfortable. The one down side is they are a touch on the heavy side, but if you are leaving it in the tree anyway, this is no big deal. Find a SOLID way to get up and down the tree (I use Stepp ladder system) and then take out the first 8-10 feet of this (I take out the bottom 4 steps). Chain lock the stand to the tree and you are pretty safe. If someone wants it they are going to take it, but at least this way they have to work to get up the tree, fight through the lock and then out.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a Big Game Boss XL at Rural King for 39.95.