Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question of ethics...."First light"

Old 12-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question of ethics...."First light"

I had a similar situation this year. It was legal shooting light, but barely. I had deer under and around me for a while. The moon was full and I waited until it was 10 feet away from my stand. I could clearly see the outline of the deer, head and all, but I could not see antlers. I knew if it had antlers they were not big. I was hunting with a scoped muzzle loader, and the shot was point blank . I wanted another deer for the freezer and I had tags left for both buck and doe. I shot, heard the deer run off an crash. I knew my target to be a deer of average size. I could see well enough to put the crosshairs on the vitals, but not enough to positively identify the deer as a buck or doe. I was meat hunting and had tags, so I shot. Now put me in the same situation with only one tag for a doe only, I would not have shot, or with a tag for a buck only, same thing, no shot. It all boils down to safety first, then the legal issues, and finaly the eithical issues. In my case all were there, but just barely.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gotta say I'm not impressed by 2 moderators supporting the idea of shooting in bad light!

Regardless what you guys do on your own, you should support safety, and positive identification of all targets, while acting as a governning agent on a site such as this.

Alot of younger hunters figure "wow" a moderator said this or that so it must be OK, before you know it we are shooting at not just figures but movement!

Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

if its legal put a little corn in the area and see if that will hold him there for a bit untill you can make him out. Dont put alot oout maybe just a coffee can full.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless what you guys do on your own, you should support safety, and positive identification of all targets, while acting as a governning agent on a site such as this
Badatta2d,

Reread my post and tell me exactly where I stated don't bother positively identifying your target? Where was I throwing safety to the wind?

The entire post was based upon FIRST identifying the animal clearly and based upon self imposed criteria or legality from a tag standpoint ,that it's an animal you want to take........then if you have the ability to make a clean shot and it's legal shooting hours, take the shot if you feel comfortable with your skills and abilities.
What am I missing?
Where the heck did I encourage a young hunter to shoot at movement!?

5Shot can defend himself if he feels as well........but he doesn't need to either. Legal shooting hours, target animal safely identified, legal tags for either and he shot.

Do you just look for arguments on here? Seriously, comprehend before you speak.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys ...I'll just end my comments with this....

I feel like I'm one of the most ethical hunters I know. I wouldn't shoot if it were not LEGAL time.....but LEGAL time might still be too dark to make out antlers in my set. You see.....the deer don't grow that large around here.....and a lot of deer we think are does.....are really bucks (from a distance). Their antler size is just small (in mass).

I DO have a 13 yr old son. I am CONSTANTLY teaching him ethics lessons and quizzing him on certain situations.

It seems a LOT of posters on this thread have jumped to BIG conclusions. The facts are: 1) I know this is a deer without a shadow of a doubt. 2) It's a BIG deer....lol 3) My set is on private property.....with no one around me for at least 1/2 mile.....although my shot will likely be from <20 yds. 4) If I can't make out the vitals through my peep.....I wouldn't DARE shoot.

Nothing I'm saying here is swaying from where I began on this thread. This is my first year deer hunting.....and I was just curious as to what you guys thought. I DO respect your opinions......but I wish some of you wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Have a great weekend.

Jeff
Old 12-16-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have your son in the blind with you and he is looking over your shoulder are you going to shoot? If your answer is yes,I hope you and your son do not hunt in Minnesota! Because my kids and myself do!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Rocketman has the answer........any decent 8X43 Roof Prism binos will answer the question for you. If you can see a head, tail legs etc TRUST ME the binos will see any antlers.
Question answered.

Next if it's legal shooting hours, and you feel comfortable with the shot and it's an animal you want........shoot it.

Maybe I interpretted you wrong but it sounds to me like you are encouraging him to take a shot in bad light. Use binoculars to identify the deer?? And then what? Shoot in bad light???

Legal hours does not always mean enough light.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Well Teejay.......we hunt out of a blind for Turkeys....not deer.

One of the barometers I use when doing ANYTHING....as a father.....is whether I'd do that with my son present (except 'issues' between his mom and I....lol). I'm EXTREMELY proud of how I bring my son up. If I take this shot....in the morning.....he'll be within 50 yds of me.

Let's see, though.....just for the sake of argument.....

WHAT is wrong with taking a deer .....within legal shooting times.....by a hunter with thecorrect tags? The fact that I can't make out antlers????? Is this bothering you? Have you ever heard of anyone shooting a button buck.....thinking it was a doe?? A spike???

Honest to God....I don't see your point.....and your holier than thou attitude is laughable.

Jeff

Old 12-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers
WHAT is wrong with taking a deer .....within legal shooting times.....by a hunter with thecorrect tags?

So if you are so sure of this shot. Why do we have this postby you????

Did the positive replies, give you some confidence that you previously didn't have???
Old 12-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes. The positive replies gave me confidence I didn't have.

As I've stated many times on this board.....my background is in waterfowl and turkey hunting. This is my first year hunting deer.

Yes. If I ask a question...or for someone's opinion.....and they give me answers/opinions....I'll gain confidence from their knowledge.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Question of ethics...."First light"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.