Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This question is going to make some people mad.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: This question is going to make some people mad.

I really don't care to worry about such stuff. All the people that want to SHOOT THE BIG ONE.... or get the Booner can do what they want. I'm not into this hunting stuff to please or impress anyone. I just do my thing and enjoy with some friends who can do what they want.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's getting pretty bad when this is the best thing we can find to argue about.

How do you feel about hunting B&C bucks over feeders in a high fence with dogs chasing them while using crossbows to take 100 yard head shots on a fully guided hunt?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with CougarMag -

You guys are assuming that science has made Deer Food Plots - some super Steroid thing.

Thats just not true at all.

Providing more protein and carbohydrates - at the right times - may somewhathelp deer grow better antlers - but many of us plant plots to help keep the herd healthy a the right times of the year.

I don't trophy hunt - but I like to take a healthy - full sized deer - and food plots have helped me and our hunting party, all the way around. And our local herd is beter off for it.

What if you hunted the property next to me - and took a slammer - wouldn't you be ineleigible for P&Y?

FH
Old 12-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

I dont know. I mean there can be little question that deer living near farms get better & more nutritious food than those living in woodlands. So to be fair you'd need to not allow hunting near farms & I dont see that happening. I'm happy with the deer I get. I use bait to some extent but never trued a food plot let alone them fancy ones. Dont see any issue with it tho. If a person wants to try growing bigger deer whats the problem?

I do find it slightly hypocritical to feed them in your backyard but speak against baiting or food plots of whatever kind. Those feed plots or bait piles feed all the deer & wildlife in an area, not just the ones getting shot. If its ok to feed them where they cant be hunted how can it be wrong to feed the ones that can? Almost seems wrong IMO to draw them into a situation where over population is going to happen. Might be better to push for hunting if theyre eating up all your bushes. We have alot of that here & in areas where people wont grant permission to hunt the municipalities eventually pay sharpshooters to kill what we would pay to hunt. That said I couldn't care less what anybody else does, including high fences. Not for me but who am I to tell another what to do. Theres enuff busy bodies butting into others affairs without me.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:36 AM

Seems to me the people who are doing the most complaining are the ones who don't own their own land and don't have the means to pland food plots.
Seems more like jealously. This is evident in a lot of posts around here. Look at the posts about Lee and Tiffany LaKosky. As soon as someone becomes successful, either at buying land and planting food plots or having their own tv shows,people get jealous and cry that it aint fair.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

I'm with CougarMag -

You guys are assuming that science has made Deer Food Plots - some super Steroid thing.

Thats just not true at all.

Providing more protein and carbohydrates - at the right times - may somewhathelp deer grow better antlers - but many of us plant plots to help keep the herd healthy a the right times of the year.
i dont know exactly what goes into the food, but i know that the turkeys you buy at a store at thanksgiving are only 18 weeks old and 35 lbs where a wild turkey that age would weigh a mere 5 lbs. no big steroids eh? and all the beef cows are made just as quick being fed what the scientists made. i dont know what it is but if you say it doesnt exist then you are sadly mistaken.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 PM

I agree in some ways but it would be nearly inposible to tell whether or not it was killed over a supplement food plot. But that should not be counted towards the books if you had grown the big buck with supplements then it is not fare because that deer did not grow its antlers naturally.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never been all hung up about killing a deer with a big rack.

I just want to kill one bigger than Cougar's.

(That boy has killed some hogs!)[8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 12-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not into this hunting stuff to please or impress anyone. I just do my thing and enjoy with some friends who can do what they want.
I wish everyone had your attitude towards hunting!!!

Old 12-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Kinda of like baseball. Recordsfall while usingperformance enhancing drugs.

I agree. I hunt for meals, not medals.