Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This question is going to make some people mad.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: This question is going to make some people mad.

Vitimans and minerals are not even close to the same thing as steroids. If a guy wants to make his heard more healthy and it is legal than go for it. Usually the guys pissing and moaning about people that only hunt for big racks are the ones that can't seem to set up on dominant bucks. When I say dominant that means the dominant buck in your hunting area. Some states produce bigger bucks but every hunting area has dominant bucks.
AMEN!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not at all sold on any of the advertised effects that planting food plots such as the aforementioned grows bigger antlers. In my opinion planting food plots just gives deer an alternative food source. After watching a few videos, doing some research, and growing up on a farm, the plants are basically a vessel for allowing good minerals to escape from the soil into the plant. In other words, soils richer in minerals will generally be better than soils with less mineral content. The best advertised antler growth food plots in the world won't produce better antlers than the soil allows....I am a firm believer in that.
AMEN again, to valid his point on every hunting show or person who shoots a dominant buck every year. What do the properties have in common(most of the properties) ? River bottoms, I own 3 mile stretch along the river and my farm has big deer. Not just bucks, but all the deer on average are bigger. Until I read this post I never looked at it in this way. My land is almost all in the flood plain and every year the soil gets re-generated with minerals.
Just for the record I plant food plots, but I do not get the ultra-mineral crap. I talk to a farmers at Michigan State and they gave me a type of clover and alfa that is AWESOME. It grows thicker and last longer. The deer love the stuff! Let me see if I can find the name. Biggest buck score wise 154, weight 275lbs, he was an eight not big rack but older deer, he was a bruser. My Grampa said "What the hell, you shot a cow"

Old 12-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolf killer

ORIGINAL: atlasman

There is a BIG difference in a corn field or natural crop that has been around forever and serves other purposes then attracting deer (which it does also).

What we are dealing with today is scientists in labs modifying the chemical make up of certain products in order to "supplement" bigger, faster antler growth. This is as wrong as it gets and the steroid analogy offered earlier is dead on accurate. People are using science and chemicals to "grow" deer these days and it is not a good sign as to what the future holds for this sport.

Most of the deer hunting ranches around the country resemble science labs more then hunting lands these days.

So we are gonna feed them super juice to make their antlers huge in the shortest amount of time..........put video and still cameras on every tree in the woods so we can stalk their movements 24 hours a day and then sit in a heated house and wait for about 30 of them to come out for breakfast.............then we pick the biggest one that we have seen 1,000 times over the last four years and shoot him from 200 yards away and hope he doesn't damage the fence when he crashes into it.

Yup.........that's huntin' alright
Atlasman, You put it downbetter than I could have ever done. You & I are on the exact same page.

Thank you,

WK

make it 3 of us!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

What is a natural crop? Someone planted the corn or clover.

This isn't about baiting.......it is about what is being planted. By "natural" I meant a crop planted for food like corn, beans, apples, etc.......these are all natural food crops and of course deer and other animals are gonna want to eat them just like we do.........What is being discussed here is the "crops" being planted for deer to eat with no other purpose then ultimate antler growth.........having big deer around crops like corn and soybeans is a side effect. Having them around Biologic is the goal. These are not natural products........they are chemically altered and supplemented with additives to promote antler growth. It is like tricking the deer into taking steroids by hiding them in his food. Nothing more then "growing" deer scientifcally and artificially.
Is this the same Atlas that has an 8 page post defending his right to feed deer in his back-yard??

Yes.........I don't see the connection.

??
Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doesn't bother me at all. You see, I hunt the deer that are free roaming in the woods and could care less what the next property is growing. And btw, ditch the books, don't need them, they just encourage poaching and dishonest hunting[:'(].
Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am having a loss of words here. Some of these comments are down right ridiculous.

With some scouting and the application of just a little common sensea personwould realize the broad diet of a whitetail. I mean seriously you act like you plant a food plot and *poof* you have hog monster bucks behind every tree that only munch onthese magical plots and nothing else.

Next time you are in agriculture country check you deer's stomach contents and report back to us what all you find.
[/align]
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The places that food plots really make a difference are places that don't usally grow much ag. products, such as corn, soybean, milo, alfalfa, etc. BUT do a soil test, add the right amount of lime and fertilizer and POOOF... you can grow what ever you want, as long as there is a water source, you can grow any leafy plant you want!! Texas comes to mind first!!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

I use to disagree with this until I seen what it does, A buddy or my boss has just recently bought a nice tract of land and built a house on it. in the past it was hunted real hard and when looking at it there seemed do be no life. so he bought all the stuff and we planted these plots, mostly clover on the edges of all the fields, then he got a farmer to grow beans and corn. its been 2 yrs and theres tons of life now. I think its good for the wildlife, not just the deer but all kinds of animals. For me id ratherkill or harvest an animal the traditional way, but if I had the land and the money to feed the wildlife id do it, just so I could sit on the porch and watch a few deer in the afternoon enjoying a cold budlight. my 2 cents
Old 12-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Doesn't make me mad.Hehehe.I don't see the real problem here.Food plots can be planted by anyone,so what's unfair about it?[8D]
Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am in favor of food plots. I hunt in east texas and I'll tell you the soil is horrible! Next year I am definitely going to plant food plots and use mineral licks. Reason being while the deer get plenty to fill their stomachs, there is hardly anything nutritious. Also, you will typically shoot does off a food plot. Unless you have low hunting pressure the big boys aren't coming out till dark. I used to hunt the hill country and out there deer swarm your corn because of food shortages. Out here they only will nibble at it if they happen to be passing by. Oh, and the deer out here are amazingly wary. We have yet to have any substancial amount of deer to stick around long at all. All that said I'm still in favor of food plots.

P.S. Thanks for the not using the name calling some of the other guys did in other posts.

Quick Reply: This question is going to make some people mad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.