Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do deer 'carts' work well?

Old 10-13-2002, 07:22 AM

Default Do deer 'carts' work well?

One of my buck stands on public ground is way - way - off the beaten path. This spot holds large bucks but getting him out would be a different story. It's probably neary 2 miles from the road and there is a TON of steep ravines to traverse...

Will the carts as sold by different sources work for steep terrain & does it make the job a ton easier?

Also - do any of you have a brand preference or tips on using them?

thanks

Aim small miss small
Old 10-13-2002, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do deer 'carts' work well?

There a pain in the butt, but I'd rather use one than drag a big deer for 2 miles. Make sure you have enough tie down material, to keep everything securely on the cart. My buddy had a lighter weight model and the wheels collapsed under the weight of two deer so I'd suggest a sturdy model.

Old 10-13-2002, 08:19 AM

I have two of them,I use them to haul game out and stands,and feed into my feed stations. my stands are from 1/2 mile to 1 mile from the roads.

the main thing I can say it get the one or build one with the widest wheels you can. wheel barrow wheels if possible. I looked at a lot and then built my own,wider and wider wheels.I have rolled out a bunch of deer,and a couple hogs in the 200lb. range.if you build it with the wheel in the front 1/3 of the body,when you get an animal on it,it will balance a lot better.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have one with a single wheel in the rear. It is pretty narrow and makes it easy to get around in thick cover. My bowhunting stand is about a 20min walk to get to, with a couple of steep hills on the way. And believe me it is much better than dragging one out. I find it easy to use, simple to roll the deer onto it. And I use like three straps to secure the deer to the cart.

Old 10-13-2002, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Deer carts are awesome. We use the one from Cabellas that has a decent wheel base and the deer is in between the wheels close to the ground. If you get one with the wheels under the deer the cart wants to tip over. I have taken alot of deer out with this one going through woods, creeks, swamps, and its nice.

A very good investment if your going a ways out.

Old 10-13-2002, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt be without mine. I made it myself you can see a picture of it in the post about my grandson getting his first. He couldnt even start to drag the deer he got but once loaded on the cart he could pull it anywhere. I have used it twice this year and its worth its weight in gold. the way I made it I can pack it in if I have to it is not very heavy> but since my heartattack dragging is out of the question.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

huntmup, I wouldn't be without mine! I too made mine, but in retrospect, I would buy one of the commercial ones. I was trying to save a buck or two, but by the time I bought the solid rubber wheels from our local Tractor Supply Company and all the extruded 1" square aluminum tubing, I could have got it cheaper from Bass Pro. And that was at the orginal price of $99; right now they're on sale for $79 if you go to their website (they're listed on the home page once you click on hunting).

I hunt by myself, and I'd rather drive the 30 miles back home to get my deer cart just in case I didn't bring it rather than try to drag one out -- I like using them that much. And I'm 5'10, 185 lbs, and can bench press about 240, so it's not like I'm a weakling or anything. They just make the job that much easier. They're WELL worth the 80 bucks.

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

I can't add anything which hasn't been stated above but this:

Try it, you'll like it.

GForce

Shoot often - Hunt always
Old 10-14-2002, 10:58 AM

I bought a $10 golf bag cart at a local used sporting goods store. Worked awesome on the large doe I got this past September on crop damage permits. Used a couple of tie down straps to secure the deer. I don't think it would withstand the weight of a large buck though.

Another forum member (Tazman I believe) uses a hand truck. I know he said that loading the deer into the pickup truck is a snap because the hand truck rests on the bumper and the entire unit will slide right into the bed.

-Mike

Old 10-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]