Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My buck spotted again!

Old 12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default My buck spotted again!

The land owner where I bow hunt called me yesterday and told me he spotted my tall 8 pointer making the rounds yesterday at 7:30am. I have not seen that deer for 3 weeks in the daylight. I am going to hunt him tomorrow, but with the full moon I think I might go in the afternoon. Do you guys think it would be better then or in the morning? I thought with the full moon, they might move all night and bed down in the morning. How bout' some opinions. I would post a trailcam picture, but it keeps telling me it is too large.

Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 01:37 PM

Default RE: My buck spotted again!

I don't believe in that moon crap w/ deer hunting. I've read that as well and did believe it until 1st day rifle this year. I think it was a full moon or a couple days after one on Nov. 19. Anyway, I killed my 10 pointer that morning at 7:30. There may be some truth to that but deer are going to move if they want to. Anything could happen. If I were you I would be there in the morning especially since the landowner saw him at that time. Hunt him all day if you can. Good luck w/ him!

BTW: send me the trail cam pic and I will resize it for you.
[email protected]

Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more time you spend in the woods, the better chance you have of seeing him. So hunt him as much as possible...go for both the morning and the afternoon...or all day long.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I would love to hunt all day, everyday, but I have a wife and kids and I try to pick either morning or afternoon to make it easier on them. Right now at my house, we are also keeping 2 kids of our friends. They had to go to Texas to help her sick Mother. Pretty busy at home.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:44 AM

I have herd alot of people say deer move and feed all night when there is a full moon because they can see, i think thats kind of funny. Deer move all night every night no matter how dark it is.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

This year our hunting group has kept stats on every hunt we have had from Oct-Dec. We put in almost 300 hours in the woods. Our stats show that during the full moon periods (3 days before and 3 days after the full moon) or sightings per hour almost doubled and during afternoon hunts they almost tripled. Also almost 3/4 of the muture bucks we saw were during the full moon periods. I was not a believer the in moon phase stuff either until we started to keep track of this stuff ourselves and could see the outcome firsthand. My stats say up to about 10:00 in the morning and all afternoon during the full moon phase. I am not saying this is perfect data, but has shed some light on our particular situation. Good Luck I hope you get him. Any deer you take during a late season bow hunt is a trophy.