Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many guys "glass" and how much?

Old 12-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Default How many guys "glass" and how much?

I was wondering how many bow hunters spend days not just scouting or hunting a spot "just to see" but will sit down in a large field, on a ridge, etc and simply watch all they can with a pair of binoculars to see what moves where? Last year I saw at least two (may have been three separate deer or the 3rd could've been a repeat) nice bucks working a tree line during shotgun season. They we're a solid 300+ away. Never hunted the spot I saw them working. How many days/tries should I give them to show before I decide they aren't using the area this year. (I understand right a buck will use the same spots...alot of time even the same routes year after year if left undisturbed.) We own this private land and know that no big buck have been taken out (legally at least) since last year. I'm hoping they made it through our short shotgun season. They are getting old and would like to harvest at least one befor they die naturally. (Through my scope I could see they were grey from the eyes forward)
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many guys "glass" and how much?

I dont have enough open land around here to glass. But last year i would sit on my cabin porch and deer would come right up to me eating.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Most of my areas are too thick to glass but I would if it were
more open.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are a couple spots in the local gamelands that allow you to glass from one hillside to the next. I do it pretty regularly before archery season and then do it while hunting during rifle.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM

The area I hunt is rugged country at 7500 ft elevation. Some is wide open granite rock peaks and ridges, other partsare mile long meadows and the remaining is timber/forest.

I hike in more than I glass and I glass more than I hunt. I use Binocs to cover large areas to spot the deer, then I bring my spotting scope onboard to view the spread. I will go out 2-3 times to my favorite spot before archery season, just to get back into shape, enjoy thetime in the mountains, etc. Then 2 days before the season opens; I'm back up there again glassing. I glass so much my eyes get dizzy at times, even with good optics. I take notes on what times, locations, wind currents and what time of day the wind changes, etc. Basically plan my route. Once I get a pattern, I hit that spot opening morning. Always have 2 or 3 other spots to hitwhile I'm there just in case I mess up the stalk. It's a long walk back to the top of the hill, so more options is always better.

In short...I have found it doesn't do any good to glass and take notes1 week or more before the season. The deer migrate in my area, so the 2 days glassing before the season opens is a good way for me to increase my chances of success.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only when I am trying to get out of the stand.. When the naked eye cant see them in the field anymore, I will glass to make sure i dont get busted on the way back to the truck.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

This is probably the most under utilized technique in the bow hunters tool box. I spend hours,sitting in my treestand,glassing my hunting area, which is a river bottom used as a bedding area. Make no mistake, while I am glassing, I am still very alert with my ears and eyes on anything close around my stand. Starting in the early season I will glass for bucks using a certain area and watching for river crossing areas that can be used as ambush spots. I am a trophy hunter, so what really interests me are the 150 class bucks that start showing up around the first signs of the rut. After spotting them and deciding on an ambush spot, then I will hunt from a ground blind location in an attempt to arrow a big bruiser that otherwise had no idea I was around. Glassing is a great, scent free, way to get up close and spot some real big bucks. More bowhunters should be using this tool!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 AM

in august, i start my scouting. that is the first thing i do. i call it setting up an "opservation stand" along the field below and far way where the deer come out. Iv been doing this for years and its vary efective way cuz your scouting time is cut in half,andgo where you no the deer are.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I glass year around. I utilize a spotting scope and binocs. Living in mountainous country that has been logged in many areas. glassing can serve as the best low implact scouting tool. I try to glass from vantage points that keep the wind in my favor and allow me to see a lot of country.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didnt understand the original post. I thought the ? was how much do you glass when you hunt? As far as scouting.....ummm that really never ends so basicly i do year round!

Quick Reply: How many guys "glass" and how much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.