Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Switchback XT...

Old 12-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Switchback XT...

Yeah I would have to think that your experience with your Mathews is due to the user... Not the bow... #1 you said that the bow didn't fit you right to start... So that makes a HUGE difference right there... #2 as Diesel said, deer jump cause of sound... Now there are some bowtechs that are FAST... BUT... I have shot one and it was LOUD... So you can't tell me that a deer won't jump the string on that bow, cause he will hear it FOR SURE...

I don't mean to say you are lying about your story, just seems like there are some other factors that contributed to your bad experience with Mathews...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM

i have shot every bow on the market and they all make fast bows but none have the combonation of smooth draw, quiet, less shock, and good speed as the mathews line in general. the switchback being the best bow i have ever shot when all factored in. if it doesn't fit someone fine but loud i think not!! on another note i will probably wait til next year to trade up do to wanting a new set of optics 300$ but i would like to go shoot one.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

No bow can outshoot the speed of sound.

Any bow on the market today can be loud and any bow can be quiet.The accesories can and do make a difference.Heck,even the arrow can be loud.

Also remember one thing.140-150 class deer didn't get that way by being stupid.If they hear something within their alert zone,they will bolt.

The deer might have also picked up your movement without you realizing it.If that was the case,ANY noise from your bow will cause the deer to bolt.

Ok,it's official.This thread has been hijacked.[]

Old 12-08-2005, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

Well the only reason a deer would duck a shot is if he heard the shot during release. I own nothing but Hoyts so Im being biased,I will guarantee Mathews is as fast as any of the best of the best bows period if its the same pound, braodhead weight, arrow, etc etc... . I would have to see the chrono results before I believe a Mathews shoots slower than your BowTech if its the same set up. Your deer ducked the shot because he heard something, maybe your arrow rest, maybe that particularMathews bow makes some noise but he didnt duck it because of lack of speed. I can kill any deer with a real slow bow.
Speed makes a great deal when you're shooting at more than 20 yards.I own a Matthews Blackmax II and shoot 298 fps.And that's at 61lb,28" draw.Speed makes your arrow flight less of an arc.Which you will be able to squeeze shots through brush or twigs that are in your flights way.And also the deer has a less chance of getting to full ducking position at 20+ yards.What does quieter bow have on other bows?Any noise at all will make a deer run.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense Diesel77, bt if you think Mathews bows will shoot the same speed as a Bowtech, you're sadly mistaken. My Patriot 70# 30" 405 grain arrow will shoot 303fps all day every day. A Switchback won't touch that,it will be at least 10fps slower.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 PM

ok here we go again with the "its the shooter not the bow" stuff. if any of you mathews guys have ever owned or shot a Legacy you know that they are on of the quietest bows out there. everything i have on it is rubber mounted so there was little to no excess noise. i drew back on the deer and was at full draw for a good 10-15 seconds and he maintained his walk. my vital bow gear dropaway had rubber pads on it too so that motion was silent. the fact of the matter is he HEARD THE BOW CRACK as it went off.

the deer i am hunting are incredibly smart and have had a few run ins with hunters. im the only one that hunts the farm i hunt and most of these big deer retreat to this place cause they feel safe. NO ONE posting on this thread would have made any better of a shot with the same bow unless they would have aimed 6-7" beneath him. i promise you that. although my new bow isnt as fast as the "speed of sound", i know one thing a deer doesnt have any time to drop 6-7" before it gets there, maybe 3". that to me is a big difference. no matter what IBO is stamped on what bow i know my hunting setup now goes 308fps, as opposed to the legacys 267fps. shot them both through the same chronograph, you do the math.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 PM

Say a deer is 20 yards away and you are shooting a 270 fps bow vs a 300 fps bow.

30 fps over 20 yards (60 feet) will get your arrow to the deer roughly 2 hundreths of a second faster.

Does anyone really believe that is gonna make a difference?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 PM

not trying to be smart or anything, but i dont think thats how it works atlasman. feet per second mean exactly that. a 270 fps bow crosses 270 feet of ground in a matter of one second. a 300 fps bow covers 300 feet in the matter of one second. so, during the same time interval of one second, the arrow of the faster bow is 30 FEET ahead of the slower bow. thats 10 yards! in that one second, the faster bow's arrow is already 10 yards out ahead of yours. dont think so? find someone with a 300+ fps and stand side by side. count to 3 and on 3 both of you release at the same time and see which arrow gets there first. you'll notice its a big difference, especially the farther away from the target you are.

speed kills
laws of physics
Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

not trying to be smart or anything, but i dont think thats how it works atlasman. feet per second mean exactly that. a 270 fps bow crosses 270 feet of ground in a matter of one second. a 300 fps bow covers 300 feet in the matter of one second. so, during the same time interval of one second, the arrow of the faster bow is 30 FEET ahead of the slower bow. thats 10 yards! in that one second, the faster bow's arrow is already 10 yards out ahead of yours. dont think so? find someone with a 300+ fps and stand side by side. count to 3 and on 3 both of you release at the same time and see which arrow gets there first. you'll notice its a big difference, especially the farther away from the target you are.

speed kills
laws of physics
You're kidding right?

There is so many things wrong whith that thought process I don't even know where to begin.

1st, Your arrow may leave the bow at 300fps but at 100yds (300ft) it'snotstill going that speed sono it won't cover300 feet in a matter of a second.

2nd,The problem with your thinking is you are talking about distance and Atlas was talking about the time it takes to cover that distance.

3rd, Were not talking about a 100yd shot but a 20yd (60ft) and the DIFFERENCE between the two bows is less than a blink of an eye which BTW is 3to 4 tenths of a second.

Did you sleep through math at WV
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 PM

no i didnt sleep through math smart ass i'm in calculus 3 at the moment. believe what the hell you want but i own both and i will NEVER carry that worthless legacy into the woods on another hunt ever again. it is alot more than hundredths of a second and obviously you're too uneducated to see that. it might be tenths of seconds but a deer can make a BIG move in 4/10's of a second. i guess you punched the wrong numbers into your calculator. so ok we arent making a 100 yard shot, but at 50 its still 3 or 4 yards ahead and thats a big difference, especially since deer are able to react so fast. this is where the "first hand experience" of hunting comes in and i hope someday you don't have to miss the buck of a lifetime to figure that out.

just for the record, the speed off the bow is a little faster but the arrow doesnt really lose a whole lot of speed after that. the only force it has slowing it down is air resistance, which doesnt do a whole heck of alot to an arrow. does a baseball slow down dramatically after the pitch? no its still goin 90 mph at the plate, same with an arrow. the only effect gravity has on an arrow is pulling it down, gravity has NOTHING to do with speed in the horizintal direction, just the little bit of air resistance. oh crap, what do you know, i take physics too.

Quick Reply: New Switchback XT...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.