Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disgusted with PA

Old 12-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Disgusted with PA

The proof will be in the pudding so to speak when the kill numbers are released in the spring. I really expect a huge decline in NY, not because of a lack of doe permits but because of alack in deer numbers. There are of course some pockets that still have abundant herds, but as long as NY keeps chunking out the doe permits in those areas it'll change. PLUS, the CWD in Oneida county should really put a hurt there. I come from a long line of very good hunters. I mean, we always get a LOT of deer. My brother and his gang typically shoot 15-20 bucks. I think they have 3 this year. My one nephew and his son always limit out. This year they have a couple does and one nice 10 point. My other nephew usually limits out...he's come up dry. My other 2 nephews usually limit out, one has 2, etc etc etc. My highschool buddies are quite prolific when it comes to killing. None of the 3 has a deer or saw a buck to shoot. Admittedly 2 of them don't hunt that much but the other does throughout the Northern and Southern Tier. I talked to some locals I usually bow hunt with in NY. One guy who limits out EVERY year has zero deer at last report. Need I go on. These folks are hunting from Boonville to Bainbridge. My brother himself has taken well over 300 deer, and when he isn't seeing deer you better worry NY. We'll see when the reports come out. Of course they'll come up with all sorts of reasons why the counts are down in efforts to cover their butts.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I consider myself a fair hunter in terms of how seriously I take it and how successful I am in it. I will say that deer numbers in all of the areas that I hunt are down significantly in the last 3 or 4 years. But that was the intention of Gary's program now wasn't it? Shoot more does and reduce the number of 1.5 year old bucks taken. Well, he has accomplished that. The question is when is it enough? As mentioned we cannot have blanket policies that govern most if not all of the state. The herd needs to be micromanaged. The current WMUs are much too large to be effective in controlling deer numbers within them. The difference between private and public land alone is enough to justify changes in the deer management policies.

I feel very fortunate to have taken a nice buck during archery season this year and I hope to be as fortunate next year. However, I do believe that the intensive hunting of does really needs to be cut back at this point. Many public land areas are being decimated by the generous seasons and bag limits. We really need to....

1) Reduce that two week rifle season for does. I don't have any specific suggestions but two full weeks is just too much considering the current herd levels in some areas.

2) Eliminate or further regulate the early muzzleloader season in October.

3) Reduce the number of doe tags issued specifically to heavily pressured areas. It does no good to issue 40,000 tags to a Wildlife Management Unitwith heavily pressured but limited public hunting land.
Absolutely...good points. It is a shame how so many hunters feel it necessary to fill every single tag they are eligible for...when common sense should tell them in certain areas it's a good idea and in others its not.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Absolutely...good points. It is a shame how so many hunters feel it necessary to fill every single tag they are eligible for...when common sense should tell them in certain areas it's a good idea and in others its not.
I don't know that "necessary" has anything to do with it. I think people fall into the trap of believing that every hunter out there is like the ones found on this board.............reality check........They are not. The VAST majority of fellas don't spend every waking hour of their lives consumed with the minutia of the state's deer herd. They get out a few weekends a year and yea, many of them are not as educated as they should be about a great many things.........but reality is that they are out there in HUGE numbers and they have every right to fill a tag as the guy who eats, sleeps, and craps deer 24/7---365. These guys DEPEND on the DEC to take care of things they don't have time for or simply don't care to do. They pay taxes, and they pay license fees.........all of which is supposed to get them a reliable agency with the best interest of the herd and the state's hunters in a nice balance. So when they are handed 7 tags it tells them there are deer numbers out the wazoo and it's a green light to fill those tags because they DEC wouldn't give them out if it would destroy the deer herd right?? So they went out to camps and filled their tags............thinking they were not only not hurting anything, but also enjoying the perks of an exponentially growing herd and actually helping to control it. Then as the deer disappear and didn't return they all sat there and wondered why in the hell they were still being given a pocket full of tags even though the deer numbers were way down........By then it was too late. The damage had already been done.

At least in PA they were TOLD that they wanted the herd crushed. They may not like it down there but no one can say they didn't know it was coming. In NY they destroyed the deer herd either through their own stupidity or by lying to everyone..........either way NY hunters were unknowingly used to slaughter and destroy what they love best. Now we all have to suffer for it for who knows how many years. At least PA has a plan and whether it works or not at least they were all informed and allowed to decide their role in the future there. In NY we are sitting in many areas with hardly any deer around and when you ask our DEC they lie and say "OH......THEY ARE OUT THERE IN RECORD NUMBERS........GO GET 'EM!!" or they just scratch their heads and say "OOOPS, WE REALLY SCREWED UP BY KILLING SO MANY DEER.....OH WELL, BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR"

We were decimated by ignorant incompetence.........or greed. Blaming hunters for believing the DEC wasn't lying to them is pretty far fetched IMO.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM

this year the doe license dropped 1,010,000 since last year, also, i would just try northern pa, that's where i go and i find deer numbers to be kind of plentiful