Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

moisture on bow, what to do?

Old 12-04-2005, 04:21 PM

Default moisture on bow, what to do?

I've been hunting in either drizzle or falling snow lately. I'm concerned that the moisture is harming my cams and oranything else that can be harmed. Are there any pre and post-cautionary steps I should take? And what areas should I should be most worried about if any?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Default RE: moisture on bow, what to do?

Man....you can take a swim with that bow, shake it off and let one fly.
I live and huntin one of the wettest places in the states. When I get
home, just leave it out to dry. DO NOTstore wet. Cool? Good hunting!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree. Wax the string, lub any moving parts and have fun. Rust takes a while to eat through bolts. Some people put light oil on screw heads every now and then to fend of surface rust. I've never seen the point because after several years the all look a like.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2005, 08:28 PM

I've got a little bit of rust here and there on my bow. On occasion, I try to get it off , but I avoid using oil due to the scent. I've hunted and shot it the rain several times and it performs well. It's like fieldmouse said, they'll all look the same soon enough.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM

i wouldnt be afraid of using the oil or WD-40 sure it stinks at first but i have never had problems. use a rag and spoary it onto the rag and wipe down parts could rust. rub it in good and let it hang for a day. i do this at the end of every hunting season to prevent from rust and i still get deer under my stand. if you are still afraid of that, after you do it, spray it down with a little bit of white lighting scent eliminator. that stuff takes the smell of gas off hands. ( :

Old 12-10-2005, 12:14 AM

you have permanately sealed and lubed bearings on that bow. The worst that could happen is a little surface rust on the bolts. Use a little WD at the end of the season