Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do??

Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would you do??

I did the same thing with a 14 point years ago. Yes guys, he scored 14 points. He was just pushing big with a 6 point brow tine. Go figure. His back hip was broke and he was moving very little. I snuck up on him and dropped him into history.

This year I saw a severely messed up 8 point with a broken hip from at least last spring. I was going to drop him if I got the shot even though I'm holding out for something bigger in the contest. It was too bad to watch him drag his back leg around. He has survived all summer long like that but I still would have dropped him. I never got the shot but it needs to be done.

One other time I shot a deer with a messed up rack. When it came to butchering him, his hind quarter with the old wound, was infected real bad. I trashed the whole deer. Was that right or just paranoid? You tell me.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have done the same. Good job.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

i would have done the same thing. i also would have taken a real good look and see if it looked like CWD. doesn't sound like it from your post. poor guy sounded like he wouldn't have made it through the winter anyway. i think you did the right thing.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll go so far as to sy THIS, too....

I don't care if you had a tag left, or not. You did the right thing. If it happens to me....and I don't have a tag.....I'll still report it.....and look 'em right in the eyes.

What you did was humane.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2005, 07:13 AM

I wouldn't have tagged it, and I wouldn't have reported it either...if it looked like it was going to stay where it was for awhile, and I was near a road, I might try to call the game warden to let him put it down...otherwise, if it was obvious the thing was suffering, I'd just dispatch him quickly. Some game wardens would hammer you for that, because as far as I know, there isn't anything in the code about putting wounded deer down.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have done the same thing!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 AM

yes diesel, you definitely did the right thing. and it was a blessing for that buck that a hunter like you happened to be there at that time for that, until then, unlucky buck.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 AM

One shot saved him a lot of misery to come. You definitely did the right thing. If I would have had the chance I would have done the same.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where I lived you saved him from a much slower death via...wolves, cougar or a pack of yotes. Good work
Old 12-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago.

It was opening day of rifle and I jumped some deer while walking in to my stand. They ran on the neighbors property, and a few minutes later I heard a shot. It was still dark, and I mean 15 minutes before light, way dark. I couldn't believe it, I could barely see the ground. So about 20 minutes later here comes this little buck hobbling along, shot in the hind qtr, dragging his leg. Pissed me off. I would never have taken that deer, but I was forced to put him down. Morons like that have no business being in the woods. [:'(]

The only consolation to it was that I had my young son come help me "find" the blood trail, trail it for me and find the deer, and help me gut and drag it back to the house. He was really excited about that, so a bad situation turned out good.He said. "man this is awesome!" Made my day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.