Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you partake in any target venues? Ex. 3D, spots etc.....

Old 12-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you partake in any target venues? Ex. 3D, spots etc.....

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

You can learn more about shooting a bow in one month of tournament shooting than you can in a lifetime of shooting in the back yard. I highly recommend hitting some tournaments. Getting the wife and kids involved in it is great. It's a great way to spend time with the family and make great friends from all over.

It's also a good way to pick up invitations togo hunting in the fall.
Ain't that the truth!!

If you can't handle shooting with the shakes. I don't suggest shooting indoor NFAA Nationals!!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

I've shot indoor and outdoor NFAA, IBO and ASA. The 3-d is way more fun, but the indoor is where your form comes from. My best finishes were 3rd at the indoor nationals in Tulsa in 1999 and 2nd in State ( Wis ) also in 1999. I've shot a handful of 59 x's but never a 60. I shot for High Country Bows for about 7 years. I shoot for fun and hunting now. My son is a 2 time state champ and also took 3rd in the nationals in 1999. My girlfriend still holds the record as a state champ. My favorite trophies of all are my 7 P&Y Deer I've taken over the years.
GregH

Sorry no equip. pics yet.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:11 PM

I just paid my membership fee for the local archery club. They have an indoor and outdoor range and participate in FITA and 3D-shoots.
Included in the membership fee is 6 months use of materials, and coaching from licensed trainers.
After my first few visit i realised that it was pretty hard to hit an animal's vital area consistently with an arrow.
They do teach recurve first and then you can go over to compound.
I think i will shoot loads of arrows in paper before trying my skills on wildlife.