Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frayed string after peep install?

Old 11-25-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Frayed string after peep install?

Just had my peep installed the other day at a local shop. The string now has a few ends sticking out in the area peep serving was located. I think it happened after they slid the tie points down after fine tuning height of peep. I asked them about it and they said it just needs wax. Is this normal and correct?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Frayed string after peep install?

Is there a peep tubing connected to the peep--if so, a longer than usual peep tubing will rub against the string after the shot and will contribute to this problem.
Wax does 'help' a little--unfortunately it would notresolve the problem.
Either use a peep without a tubing, butother problems can beassociated with this if not set up properly, the peep doesn't turn in line with your vision, etc--or try shortening your tubing--not too much, as you don't want the tubing busting every other day or slipping of the peep post either.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:32 AM

No tubing on my peep. They served it in high so that the peep could be fine tuned. After we found the sweet spot, they slid the serving ends toward the peep on both ends to lock it in. After that I noticed the frayed string. It's a brand new bow, so I was just wondering if that was normal.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fuzz will be visible around most peep sights yes. Waxing the string a little will help the fuzziness. Abrasions would usually create some fuzziness on a string--so it could have happened this during the installation of the peep--which BTW isn't unusual.
Not to worry, Winner's Choice is now selling quite a neat string care kit--wax conditioner and cleaner. Pickup one of these carekits, they're about $14.95--will work wonders on you strings and cables.
Best of luck!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had the same problem, but after a while i got new strings and cables because they old strings were so old.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:51 PM

this is generally caused by folks sliding the peep up and down without taking any pressure of the string, ie, not using a press. its the lazy way. a little fuzz is no big deal, but wax isn't going to heal the string, only hide the damage. you'll just have to see if a strand is damaged enough to break shortly or not.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your have frayed strands change your bowstring. If your string breaks, its not a pretty sight. Especially if at full draw, you'll get hurt. JMO! Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2005, 06:47 AM

Loosen the servings around the peep. I had the same problem last year with my bow. That peep isnt going to move unless you move it, so back off the servings from the ends of the peep. Should solve the problem.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

this is generally caused by folks sliding the peep up and down without taking any pressure of the string, ie, not using a press. its the lazy way. a little fuzz is no big deal, but wax isn't going to heal the string, only hide the damage. you'll just have to see if a strand is damaged enough to break shortly or not.
Ditto. IF it is fuzzy, dont worry, wax it. If the string has strands sticking out, you have a problem. Most all strings will become fuzzy after shooting a while, not uncommon.