Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trailcam?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:48 AM

Default Trailcam?

He i was looking at trailcams for a christmas present, and dont really know how to pick one out. I have never used one, it has to be digital, i would rather have inferred so that there is no flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Deer-hunter18
Old 11-25-2005, 07:51 AM

Default RE: Trailcam?

I was really looking at this one. Anyone own one of these cams? If so any likes or dislikes? Here is a link to the cam at Cabelas.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0034424417213a&navCount=1&podI d=0034424&parentId=cat20098&navAction=jump &cmCat=MainCatcat21424&catalogCode=XF& rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20098&amp ;hasJS=true
Old 11-25-2005, 02:26 PM

no one has one of these cams? Any other cams that you would suggest?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:06 PM

DH18,

I bought two Leaf Riverslike the one you have pictured(but not the infrared one) and had them out for the last three months. I can't give you any comparisons since this is the only model I have owned. I have definately liked mine and have had no problems. Good housing. Many features. Pictures are ok, not great. Flash seems decent. LCD viewing screen is small but very cool.Takes 4D and 3Cbatteries. I boughtsuper cheap batteries by accident and theyhave lasted three months but are about done. The only complaint I have is what seems to be a slow trigger time. Deer moving across the cam at close range(within 7') may be missed. Strategic placement must come into play with any cam anyway (on scrapes, up or down trails- not across, fence crossing areas, watering holes, etc.) Anywhere the deer willmill around for a while is best.
Doesn't the infrared Leaf River only shoot black and white?
Hopesthis helps.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

The down fall of the IR one you are looking at is it is only black and white. I am not sure if you can get a color model that is IR. Also the reaction time for the leaf river cameras is around 5-7 seconds from the time it is triggered which makes you miss quite a few deer if the are traveling by it.

I have 2 homebrew digitals that I got off of e-bay and I really like mine. They have a sony digital P32 camera which can be used for personal use also by removing it from the housing and unplugging it. And theyare run off of a BG1 controller whichhas a fairly quick trigger time,2 seconds or less.

The only camera that is faster is probably the Cuddeback,which is advertised at a .63 seconds trigger time. Which I do not know if this is accurate, as I have never owned one to verify it.
I do know my homebrew ones work really well!! And I like the fact that you can also use the camera for your own use also.
Good luck in you selection.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Herd Cuddeback are the best maybe try asking people who u know that have a trail cam what they think?

Old 11-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have both the Leaf River and two Cuddebacks. IMO the Cuddebacks are far better than the Leaf River. My Leaf River is used only at a feeder or scrape because of its slow trigger speed. I think the new Moultrie Gamespy 200 will also be a good choice. Trigger speed right at 2 seconds and can be bought off Ebay for around $160. Thats half the cost of a Cuddeback.