Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Storage???

Old 11-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Storage???

I am brand new to hunting and just purchased my first bow lastweek.I live just outside Chicago so temperatures are already in the teens. I am planning on keeping it in my trunk all winter. Since I go to the range a few times per week. I am just wondering if it can cause any damage going from the cold trunk to using it right away while still freezing cold.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Bow Storage???

why not keep it in your house? while cold is better than hot, i don't think i'd do that.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought about that but I work real close to an indoor range so I will have many opportunities to go at any given time. This way I always have it with me. I am just worried that the cold mihgt damage it during my first few shots. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Do they have lockers or some where safe you could store your bow at the range?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Even though you want to keep your bow ready at a moments notice so you can shoot, I would highly recommend that you not store it in your trunk. Put it somewhere with a controlled temperature, as if you don't, you could spend more time getting it fixed if something happens due to where it is stored. Then you wouldn't be shooting for awhile. In the end it is your bow, but in my opinion, you would be better off keeping it somewhere more controlled. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

AS BHunter mentioned, a controlled temperature is always better for storing bows. Heat and cold will expand and contract materials--a hot vehicleis certainly not good for storing a bow--bows have been know to 'explode'. As for the cold, well the strings turn a bitand of course mother nature temperaturesdoes change the way materials react.
Keeping it in a vehicle, one will have the chance of the bow getting ripped off also--a little more effort will sometime go a long way. Find the extra time and store your bow in someplace where it's safe--it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt recomend it. And if it gets stolllen then your S.O.L.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a room in my house, then again I alsao shoot at my house..live in lower northern mi. 27f today I'll still shoot outside. thay say you should practice in the conditions you hunt in. good luck
Old 11-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Bows are made to handle the tempuratures. Shooting a cold bow is no differant than shooting it from a treestand on a could Dec. morning. The only thing is that a cold bow will shoot differant than a warm bow.Might shoot a bit faster or slower and in return might shoot high or low and your groups will move as the temp of the bow changes. 2nd you should sight in in the conditions you will be hunting for that reason. 3rd sudden temp changes will cause condensation on your bow which will inturn cause corrosion which is bad. I store my bow in my garsge so that it is the same temp as it is outside when I hunt and Practice. I always shoot a couple of arrows before the hunt to be sure I am dialed in for the day.