Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2006 BowTech Old Glory Chrono Results

Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2006 BowTech Old Glory Chrono Results

ORIGINAL: gibblet

ORIGINAL: lamb1647

My 2006 Bowtech Tomkat, [email protected]", with the smooth module shoots a 367 gr arrow 275 fps. That yields a KE of 62 ft-lbs. The 2.5" difference in draw length does make quite a difference! Of course, the Old Glory also has the TS-1 string and cable system and the Tomkat does not. I'm not sure what cable system they put on the Tomkat

Bill
gibblet,

Bowtech is advertising the TS-1 string as the standard string on all Bowtech bows for 2006, except for the Tomkat.

Bill

when did ts1 become available again? last i heard they were using 452x.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you ordered the exact same setup as I did...60 pound peak weight, 31 inch draw length 2006 Old Glory. Now I am really itchin' to get a hold of mine. Any chance you got yours in the Advantage Max 4 camo?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

These Bowtechs are really shooting some nice speeds. My Tribute at 29.5 draw weight and 68 lbs. with full hush kit and peep/kisser/loop shot 297 fps. I am impressed by all these numbers posted, they are phenominal.

Shane
Old 12-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Except, Frank, I think he ordered the 70-lb. model. Otherwise, he couldn't look forward to turning it up to 70 when he gets the back re-conditioned!

That does sound like a sweet rig! I shot an Allegiance a couple days ago with the speed mods in it, and I, too, thought they were plenty smooth!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Sounds like you ordered the exact same setup as I did...60 pound peak weight, 31 inch draw length 2006 Old Glory. Now I am really itchin' to get a hold of mine. Any chance you got yours in the Advantage Max 4 camo?
Actually my bow is a 70 pound bow dialed way down to 62 pounds. Standard Mossy Oak camo pattern. Once I get my back muscles back into shape I plan to dial it up to 65 or 70 pounds draw weight. At 65 pounds I will get 84 ft pounds of KE from aheavier grain arrow and at 70 pounds i will get 91 ft pounds of KE from aheavier grain arrow. These 395 grain (400 spine) arrows won't be with me much longer since the power to spine range is already at it's limit at 62 pounds. I think 65 pound draw weight will be plenty, plus it will assist me when the buck fever kicks in. HAHA! I have both smooth and speed cams. The speed cams are very smooth and the smooth cam is a dream to draw back. Since the speed cam gave me 11 fps higher it was a tough decision, so I took off my smooth cams and installed the speed cams. Since your bow is a 60 pound bow you should get even better specs than I did at 62 pounds draw weight. Your bow should be more efficient at 62 pounds, compared to a 70 bow being dialed way down.
I bet you are going nuts waiting for your bow...I know I was. The only reason I got mine was the guy at the shop accidentally sold me their new in box 2006 demo bow. It was of course at the highest end of IBO speeds on birth cert. Lucky me. I was like...thanks and bye. Then the owner of the shop showed up a couple days later and probably laid into the guy. They are still waiting forthat bow to show up.
By the way...29.5 inches is a perfect length arrow fora 31 inch draw length if you have a drop away rest and want to stay with a 400 spinearrow. I measured from base of nock where string laysto top of tip insert.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the info MDM. I was shooting 400 spine arrows with a 75 grain point for my 3D setup but tend to prefer the heavier and stiffer 340 spine arrows with a 100 grain point for hunting. At the moment I think the Old Glory is going to be my 3D bow but I could seriously see me wanting to take it out for hunting as well. I tend to prefer the shorter bows in that regard but the Old Glory is now down under 37 inches so I may have to just give it a go.

Good shooting and let us know how the heavier draw weight turns out.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Thanks for the info MDM. I was shooting 400 spine arrows with a 75 grain point for my 3D setup but tend to prefer the heavier and stiffer 340 spine arrows with a 100 grain point for hunting. At the moment I think the Old Glory is going to be my 3D bow but I could seriously see me wanting to take it out for hunting as well. I tend to prefer the shorter bows in that regard but the Old Glory is now down under 37 inches so I may have to just give it a go.

Good shooting and let us know how the heavier draw weight turns out.
For our set-up hunting with the 340 spinecouldn't be any more perfect. I can't wait to getthe 340 spine arrowson order. I'm trying to decide between the 8.9 gpi GT XT Hunters or the 9.5 gpi on the Easton ST Axis both in 340 spine. What one would you choose and why?

I just heard yesterday that the ST Axis arrows have a tendency to split at the tip after several practice sessions; since the insert tip is all inside the shaft and doesn't role over the edge to distribute the load on impact. May be just a rumor???
I hunt on the ground only, so clearance isn't a problem with this longer ATA bow. I can't wait until you get yours, so we can compare notes. Feel free to email meafter you get it dialed in. I just shot it again last night and Ican't believe how forgiving this bow really is. I have an adjustable releasewhere the trigger pull is set very low. Mix that with a forgiving bow such as the Old Gloryand Ibelieve it is making me look like a better shot than I really am. Couple more weeks and I'm going to 65 pounds. Letme know when you get your bow.BTW...what rest are yougoing to install?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

For our set-up hunting with the 340 spinecouldn't be any more perfect. I can't wait to getthe 340 spine arrowson order. I'm trying to decide between the 8.9 gpi GT XT Hunters or the 9.5 gpi on the Easton ST Axis both in 340 spine. What one would you choose and why?
I tend to agree about the 340 spine. I get very good groupings with the setup I mentioned previously. As for the two arrow choices you mentioned, I would probably opt for the GT XT Hunters. I have never personally shot any of the GT arrows but have heard nothing but positive things about them. I did try the Easton Axis the first year they came out. I was not impressed with them over the standard ICS style carbons that I had been shooting. Increase in penetration was only marginal in my opinion and I really didn't see any increase in durability. In fact, their straightness degraded over timejust like any of the other ICS carbons I have tried over the years. I have not bought any since.

I do tend to prefer Easton ICS carbons though and am currently using/playing with both the Excels and Epics.

Letme know when you get your bow.BTW...what rest are yougoing to install?
I have tried a variety of drop away and full containment rests currently on the market and still tend to always come back to "ol' faithful"..in my case either the GKF Golden Premier or Infinity models. I like their durability and adjustability. Because of my fletching configuration I have never had a problem with fletching clearance and have yet to actually have an arrow fall off the rest during a hunting situation (knock on wood) so I have not yet seen the need for either a drop away or full containment model.

I will definitely post once I get the bow and get to try it out a bit.