Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What would you do?

I'm kicking myself for over looking an old area. I scouted and found in a small area over dozen trees tore up that were 6 to 8" in diameter minimum. I also found his two rub lines to and from the area. Next week the area gets turned over to a gun club.

Here is my dilemma. Tomorrow morning is my last chance to hunt before the less-skilled (just jabbing) boys get a crack at it. It's Thanksgiving and I have just picked up a fresh killed turkey. It's a five hour drive home.

If I hunt in the morning,I thinkI could set a get down time of 8am. I believe my best chance atthis beast, who loves his layer, would be before 8 am. That wouldhave him out and loaded by 10am, if I got a shot. 5 hour drive, 5 hour cook time on the 30lb turkey, dinner by 9pm. Buy an extra bottle of wine to smooth over the wife. It just might work.

Should I? For some reason my mom and my sister are against it? They just don't understand.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:05 PM

Default RE: What would you do?

You're on your own with that one!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 PM

Family first........ Odds are against you anyway.....
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM

EVERY time I set an early "leave time", I get a shooter in my area...lol...it never fails to make me LATE.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM

Gotta agree with Double Creek on this one, besides Thanksgiving would be a bad day to be running late[&:]I am giving up my afternoon hunt on Thanksgiving (have seen at least one nice buck every time in the last 3 yrs. from the same stand)for the first time I can EVER remember...actually feeling kindof good about it
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm obviously going home now but, I did come up with a more workable solution. The key word is workable. Since it will take 5 hours to cook,why not reverse the order? I could get up and put the bird in the oven, then go hunting. By the time I'm out of the woods and on my way home, I have a cooked turkey. I'm just not so sure I could pull that one off. It was fun thinking about it.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:55 PM

ASK THE WIFE, MY WIFE WOULD FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK SO AS I HAD THE CHANCE THEN WHEN I COME HOME UNHAPPY I DIDN'T GET HIM SHE WILL SAY AT LEAST YOU TRYED, I GOTTA LOVE HER.YOU DID REMINED ME OF A THANKSGIVING DAY 20 YEARS AGO I SPENT DIGING OUT MY 4X4 AFTER A QUICK TAPELINE CHECK AT DAY LIGHT I GOT HOME AROUND DARK THATS LIFE.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stoneman

EVERY time I set an early "leave time", I get a shooter in my area...lol...it never fails to make me LATE.
I second that. Either a deer is in the area or you keep convincing yourself "five more minutes than I'll leave". Go enjoy your family.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol
Its so true how you have that deer under your stand when you need to get out!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 PM

whatever you do, SHOOT THE DEER! it's always somethin to be proud of