Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever dropped anything from your treestand

Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 AM

Default RE: Ever dropped anything from your treestand

thank goodness i'm not the only one. forgot my release before also. that was fun.

whoever it was that had to make all those trips up and down, that was funny.

the link includes hunting.net in it before the actual addy used. if you just type the addy in it works.

usually i hate this kind of advertising, but this thing looks pretty cool and like a good idea.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Saturday....I dropped my cough silencer....and left it laying.

YESTERDAY.....true story...I got to the woods next to my house and had my climber with me. I realized halfway there that I didn't have my tether line (I'd let my sone use the climber....and he put it in his pack), so I decided to get in some good cover and only go a VERY short way up the tree. Well....I get up in the tree about 10 feet.....and start to pull up my bow. I'd forgotten to attach the bow to the haul line.

Back down the tree.

I sat there and decided that this wasn't the best scenario....and that I was gonna get busted.....so I got down and went over to my lock on stand already in place (and also with a tether in place). I sat there for 30 minutes.....and nothing seemed "right". First time I've ever felt "weird" in the field, like that. It was 4:15.....and I climbed down and walked out. I can't explain it.....but I needed to leave.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

gloves..masks, dont remembber if i dropped my release but i dropped my can once and it hit the steps scarying the nice buck that was coming towards me
Old 11-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happened to me more times than I care to remember. Worst case ever for me was several years ago, I dropped a glove.

Sure enough, about 30 minutes later, here comes a massive herd of deer down a path about 15 yards in front of me. I watched them come down the hill right to me. First was about 4 or 5 doe. Then I noticed about 4 or 5 more with a couple bucks in the very back. One of them looked nice!

The lead doe comes right to my glove, sniffs it, blows loud as all get out, and they all run like the dickens into never never land. I think there was about 90 minutes of shooting light left. I immediatelygot down and went home and watched TV. It was terrible. [&:]
Old 11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

My bow. Twice. I remember the first onelike it was yesterday. I just didn't drop it, I shot it, and dropped. 10 years ago I was aiming at a doe almost straight undermy tree, she was quartering away. I usually shoot with a wrist sling, but she came in so fast with a spike chasing her, I didn't have time to wiggle my hand into the sling. So I squeezed the trigger, bow goes off, I 10 ring the deer, and next thing I know, the bow is floating out in the air about a foot out of reach for what seemed like a half hour, then it plummeted to the ground 18 feet......... Now here's the kicker: when the arrow hit the doe, she spun away from me and ran about 10 yards, made a sharp 180 degree turn and headed right to my tree, when she got to the tree, the bow landed right in front of her and she ran over it, dropping blood on the riser. I took a pic of the riser. If I can get someone to scan it for me, I'll post it.

Now this year, I was pulling my Xtec up to a hang on stand 30 feet off the ground. While I was hoisting it up, I thought to myslef: "man this bow got light all of a sudden" I peer over my boots, and see the bow free fall 20 feet to the ground. The plastic clip broke on my wal-mart bow hoist rope! I've used parachute chord with metal dog leash clips since I took up this sport, and one friggin' day I skimp, I get hammered. Thank God the bow was OK, it helped takemy buck the next day.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

I to dropeed my bow once. I was letting it down and thought I had hooked it to my string but I guess my hands were too cold to tell if I got it hooked and went to let it down and down it went, really fast. About 2 weeks later I noticed a 2 inch crack in the limb. I rarely hunt out of a tree anymore.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've dropped arrows, tie down straps, water bottles, you name it. Once I forgot that I had just laid my release on top of my bow when I set up my climber. When I hoisted the bow, the release stayed on the ground. Now, I hated that release because the velcro strap would stick to anything. My face mask, gloves, arm rests on the tree stand, etc. I figure, maybe I can use this annoying trait to my advantage. I tied my mesh glove to my hoist rope and went fishing. The velcro would stick to the glove, I'd get it about a foot off the ground, then back down it would fall. I had to eventually go down and get the release. Now that one is a backup, its buckles for my primary. Anybody ever leave anything UP the tree and have to go back and get it? I left my bow holder up a couple trips back, but realized before I took the climber off of the tree. I would have been torqued if I had it all packed up then realized...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Anybody ever leave anything UP the tree and have to go back and get it? I left my bow holder up a couple trips back, but realized before I took the climber off of the tree. I would have been torqued if I had it all packed up then realized...
Exactly why I tell nobody where I hunt...........they would have a few realtree bow hangers to take home. I usually spend a few days in december, tramping around the woods with my climber, retrieving all my hangers.......[&:] "torqued" isn't the word .....
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Havnt dropped anything yet.

Quick Reply: Ever dropped anything from your treestand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.