Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattling in new jersey

Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 PM

Default rattling in new jersey

will rattling work in jersey, and produce results? ive never tried it, but wanted something to draw in the bucks towards me. Out west i know the buck to doe ratio is like 1 to 1, but over here its probably like 1 to every 15 does. Any help draggin in the bruisers? thanx
Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rattling in new jersey

i am hunting nj this year and i have yet to rattle a deer in. i have tried it on more than 4 occasions. i think that is will work, i have rattled bucks to me in Pa and DE. i wouldnt rattle to hard...lightly...try it. i love rattling.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never been sucessful at it in NJ either. If you do try it do it lightly as for my opinion. If a buck has a confrontation its easier to just go find another doe. BUt may be totally wrong. But for me never had sucess

Brian
Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had some mixed results. It has no effect inall except one spot i hunt. In all these spots, i have rattled on many occasions, even when i have seen deer in the distance and tried to bring them closer. They just paid it no attention. I hunt another spot where the buck to do ratio is alittle better than most of the state, but not much, but it does seem to have alittle effect there. On 2 occasions this year i have had a buck cross the field to look where i was, but never came closer since it couldnt see anything. If i had a decoy out i bet they would have come in. IMO, try it, it wont hurt anything, that is for sure, plus it will give you something to do up in the tree to keep you busy and alert.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 PM

The appropriate vocalizations, and the correct proactive measures, game can be brought into shooting range on a whim.Investing time in the woods,and learn when, where, and how to use a calls. Combine calls with other natural sounds like rattling antlers, raking branches you could be in for some fast-paced action.
---------
Alicemark

New Jersey Treatment Centers