Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Default RE: Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Great post:

...."better" than I used to be, and hopefully one day "better" than I am.

That's the best attitude.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ12

Well I have a completely different take on what makes a "good hunter"

To me, if all you do is shoot deer with a bow then you arenot even close to being a "good hunter", you're just a"part time" hunter or a "bow hunter". Nothing wrong with that, but you will never qualify as a "good hunter" to me.In my eyesa"good hunter" possessesskills and is adaptwith all types of weapons and hunts may types of quary. He/she is equally skilled with a bow as with a rifle, handgun, shot gun or muzzleloader. He/she can wing shoot as well as spot shoot. He/she can call in geese or ducks or coyotes.

Some of you guys are too narrow minded. I know this is a bow hunting forum but the the topic is about what makes a "good hunter" not a "good bow hunter" and I'm giving my opinion.I don't care if you kill P&Y bucks every year while letting the smaller bucks pass or just kill does only. If you can't/don't upland bird hunt or call in a drake to your decoys or take a hog with your pistol or kill a fast movingquail that just busted out of it's coveyor a dove at full speed with your 20ga or any other combination of weapon/quary your not even close to a "good hunter" your just some guy with a bow. Skilled with a bowyes, but very one dimensional.

I'm not trying to be an a$$ here justtrying to get some of you to think outside the box. Sometimes thingsneed to be put into perspective

BigJ, I totally understand where you are going with this. Like I said in my original post, being "good" will vary widely, it's all really a matter of opinion.
Personally, I have shot deer with bows, rifles, shotguns, andhandguns... running, standing, near & far. I've also called in and killed turkeys, killed coyotes, doves, and even takenmy limit of grouse in one day without a dog (back when we had enough that you could actually hunt them). We don't have hogs around here, and I don't really have any duck or goose hunting available where I hunt, but I would like to do that some day also. Does this really make me a good hunter?? Not really, at least not in my own eyes. I consider myself to be pretty much average I guess. But I do think that I have more of a passion for it thanmost of the folks I know. Like I said, it's really all an opinion, because being "good" varies big time.
Good post though, with some very valid points. Although I will disagree somewhat with the "part time hunter" theoryif all you choose to do is bowhunt. That for most is probably a choice that has evolved over time, and usually after going through most of the other types of hunting, and deciding that bowhunting is THE challenge they prefer.

Talondale, great post also.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Site Bouncer

I might have blurred the line between a "good hunter" and a "true hunter"

You see, in my eyes a "true hunter" is someone who is passionate about, and hunts all types of animals and is skilled with all types of weapons. There are very few of these types of hunters today, and while I have and still do hunt many different types of animals with different types of weapons I would not put myself into that category.

I was not trying to put down bow only hunters...not at all, I was just trying to show that there is far more involved when trying to determine who is a "good hunter' and who is not.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is amazing, every time someone post with new comments it is just like they are describing me to a T. The skills you speak of, the ethics, and the uncanny ability to be a deer whisperer. Please stop this thread mods I cant take all the accolads my head is growing daily. How do you know me? Are you stalking me as I stalk all forms of game? Please guys, enough is enough. I'll read more later I have to clean up these Quail, a turkey, 4 pheasent, 2 jack rabbits, and a doe I got before I went crappie fishing this afternoon.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:53 PM

LMAO
Old 11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Site Bouncer

What can I say Motown....you inspire me
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree with you, a good hunter can be anybody from a trophy hunter to a meat hunter. What you shoot doesn't make you a good or bad hunter.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very good post Talondale ,you've brought forward many point's most of us have overlooked on this post .I agree that everyone has their own style of hunting and also have their own opinion on which they would consider to be a good hunter .Excellent post .

BigJ12 has also brought forward some good point's as well when you look outside the bow part of this thread ,I also agree that all of us have forgotten to look into this area ,but I for one have to agree with him ,if this is the area that this post was meant for, but I for one have failed to look outside the bow hunting aspect of this thread .

nubo
Old 11-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting thread. It's fun to see the different personality types revealed in such threads. I can tell which hunter's I would probably prefer to hunt with and which ones I wouldn't. Not that one type is wrong and one is right, just some better suited to my temprament and some not.
I thought much the same thing as the thread grew.

The way I see it this thread suffers from trying to define too many different things. Some are describing "proficient" hunters, others "ethical", "successful", and some are describing woodsmanship rather than hunter (although it should be a part of a "good" hunter), while others are describing all-star athlete hunters if not prodigies.
I also agree the thread branched off from it's original intention to include many other aspects as well. Although I am glad it did as it made a rather interesting read and gave us a little insight to some of the other guys mentality.

Seems some guys did not enjoy the thread but I certainly did.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Oh God, we're back to touchy feel good stuff again. And since when do you have to use multiple weapons to be a good hunter. Where did that come from. If we're going to do that we might as well include mechanical ambushes. I was especially proficient at that when I went on a safari in Southeast Asia. I could chuck a gernade further and more accurate than most too, but that was cheating as I pitched in little league so got a head start. I was really good at using a gernade and a block of C4 for fishing. Does that count? I guess the guy that has no bird life to hunt can't possibly be considered a good hunter. What a shame. Someone better contact Chuck Adams and maybe have a ghost talker come in to tell Fred Bear they are poor hunters since they only use a bow. And poor old Ishi. That guy really thought he had it going. Oh well. Let's see, I loaned my shotgun to someone a week or so ago so I'm bow hunting. My 30-06 I loaned out about 10 years ago. I certainly don't qualify. Ops, never hunted with a handgun or a muzzleloader either. Definitely don't qualify. Ya'll have gotten way off base on what this game is all about. It's not about who does what. It's what you do that makes you happy and can you do what you set out to do on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.