Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Old 11-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Exactly........but that's not all it is......his desperation for everyone to tell him he is a great hunter is so overwhelming that he is forced to try and bait people into it to get his fix.......since no one else is saying it he says it himself by giving a description of himself as what he considers a great hunter. It's really quite sociopathic. Remember when he started that thread asking who were the best hunters here (and checked it every 2 minutes praying his name was mentioned)......as if that is something anyone could tell online anyways...........truely bizarre. I have rarely seen someone so desperate for the approval of others in all my life. Sad.

Look who finally decided to show up. Atlas I amno great hunter, some years I am successful with a harvest other years I'm not. Shedd33 and Antler Eatercome to my mind when I think ofgreat hunters from this site. I can tell from text that these guys are the real deal. That's to bad for you that you can't see it.

What I find very odd is how you completely ignore my posts and or replies until you think you can get a jab in on me then you magically materialize. Atlas you are nothing to me but a waste of bandwidth. You are always argumentative, negative and rather unpleasant. I still wait for the day I see a positive or useful post come from you.

It's pretty funny the amount of PM's I have got about you. Actually it is rather as you say "sad."

Anyhow, I as well as most others around here take you for what you're really worth.
[/align][/align]
Old 11-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Atlasman is a playa hata[8D]
Old 11-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me, a good hunter is one who has attained to a high degree a broad set of skills and knowledge associated with the sport. He/she of course must exercise those skills in a legal and ethical manner. IMO it has nothing to do with how many he takes or how many he passes on. If you agree that it is knowledge and skill that makes a good hunter then the decision to pass on or take an animal is neither skillful or knoledgeable, it is simply a decision a good hunter has earned the right to make. I would agree that it takes some amount of killing to initially develop the skill necessary to properly execute at the moment of truth but once developed its simply a decision as to whether or not to exercise what you know how to do. Note that I said a broad set of skills and knowledge. There is a whole bunch of stuff that goes on both before and after the kill that IMO are also associated with the skill and knowledge of a good hunter. From field dressing, equipment maintenece, sharpening a knife to how to keep warm on stand are all associated with being a good hunter. To me a good hunter is somebody you can go to with just about any question related to hunting and he will have some experience in it and some practical advice for you.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

Atlasman is a playa hata[8D]
If you have to toot your own horn.........or try and bait others to do it then you have a personality disorder and serious ego issues. If that's your definition of a "playa" well then OK.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well,well ,I have no clue to why you's need to be taken jab's at Buckeye over this thread .I for 1 find this an very interesting thread ,just to find what the other's have to say about what they consider to be a good hunter .I do not see anywhere where we're asking for praise for 1 particular hunter who has been viewing this thread ,I see no need for this unnecassary critisism over this thread .Sure he want's to be here to view what opinion's are being posted .So what's the big problem here .If you need to be this way then don't post .

nubo
Old 11-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I've re-thunk my post a bit and in an effort to give credit to those hunters who hunt deer of poor quality with outrageous buck-to-doe ratios and horrible management regulations in which to deal with but do all they can to improve their situations and those of their State are the best of hunters IMO.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is a good thread, not another "toot my own horn" or "QDM" thread. I agree with alot that has been said, and especially what Mowtown said.

I don't consider myself to really be a"good" hunter. I am average at best. The best I can account, I have taken somewhere between 30-35 deer with my bow in 18yrs of bowhunting, and never what I would consider a good one. No great feat by any means, and I haven't really kept track since numbers don't mean anything to me. I do know that I haven't taken a buck with my bow in the last 7yrs, because of my own personal goals. I have passed a ton of bucks and does over that timeframe though, and have learned alot by doing so. If I shot half of the deer I have had an opportunity at, I would have tripled my kills with a bow, but it really wouldn't have made me a "good" hunter, just one with many more kills.

I think being "good" is going to vary widely since it is really an opinion. Are you good because you killed 100 deer with a bow? Are you good because you have 5 or 6 good bucks on the wall? What really makes us good? Good to one, may be getting a deer with a bow each year. Good to another may be taking the best buck on the land they hunt, and only that buck. Good to yet another may be hunting a particular animal and harvesting him or her that season. And still another may be setting some other type of goal and achieving it...whatever it may be. And all those things may not mean squat to another person.

I know guys that kill small bucks every year with a bow, and in their mind they are "good", but in reality, those immature bucks are very easy to kill. No real accomplishment there. I also know guys that have some very nice bucks on the wall, and can't even spell hunting. They have been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. One buddy of mine, has been dubbed "the golden horseshoe" because he has an uncanny amount of luck. He basically hunts with a rifle 99% of the time, and no matter where he goes, or whose property he hunts on, a nice buck seems to stroll by. He never scouts, hardly knows anything about the nuts and bolts of hunting, but has lots of luck. Is he "good"? You might think so by looking at his wall. I also have another buddy that I grew up hunting with. He moved to Montana 6yrs ago, and has since proceeded to kill 6 P&Y bucks in a row. All are very nice deer (125-140 class), but not the big ones for where he hunts. Is he "good"? IMO he is a better hunter than I am, but he also has a great spot and much more opportunity at P&Y class animals, he sees alot of them each season. When he hunted here, he never killed much more than a basket rack.

Which leads to another factor of "good". Location. Yes, some places are definitely better than others. Hunting in an area that holds numerous P&Y class animals, obviously ups your chances at getting one. The areas I hunt, if you took a P&Y, it would be quite a feat...they are very rare. However, just because someone may live in the midwest and have more numbers of nicer bucks, doesn't mean mature bucks are easy to kill. I believe they are still tough anywhere outside of the pens and pet-a-pets. Your odds are just a little better in those areas, because more of them exist.

I will agree however, that the guys that invest alot of time and effort year in and out, and consistently shoottop enddeer for where they hunt, would be considered "good", no doubt. My goal is to someday have enough time to apply what I have learned over the years, and really put the effort out to becomea "good" hunter. For now, I just enjoy spending time in God's great outdoors, hopefully learning something new on each trip out, and hope to achieve my personal goals for the season. Does that make me "good" ??? I guess "good" is really in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

DANG that was one well stated post. I don't know what I am anymore though [:-]. Very well said WVHunter.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Yeah I have to agree. Its not what you do its how you do it that makes you a good hunter. Good post.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 PM

Very well put WVH. Nice thread. I think I'm starting to consider myself WORSE now that when this thread started!

Quick Reply: Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.