Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Old 11-24-2005, 05:34 AM

Default RE: Thought provocative......Good hunter????

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. No disrespect intended for buckeye , but I'm not at all impressed by this thread. I've seen 100's of these threads since I've been around here. It's just another way of saying a "good hunter" is measured by the size of his racks on the wall and how many younger bucks they let pass by to achieve it. Same ol' b.s. if you ask me , just colored different this time.
I have had dozens of shots at immature and clueless 1.5 year old bucks so far this year, and in years past, that the poorest of hunters could have taken but to be disciplined, patient, and skilled enough to take mature bucks on a fairly consistent basis is what sets apart the "good" from the rest IMO.

Like I said, it's primarily about where you hunt..... In my neck of the woods you may get 3-4 shots at a buck the entire season. You just have to hope he's a good one....... Now, if I were hunting the midwest farm country it would be a different story.... I've spent 10 days hunting that area and had as many bucks in range....... That makes passing on small bucks easy.... Try hunting the south eastern hardwoods and then come tell me how many "dozens" of shots you have had each season..... Location, Location, Location.......

And Bowfanatic, yes I recognized the post immediately...... Although I know Buckeye had good intensions, I knew where it was headed....

Is it a coincident(sp) that the guys that spew QDM the hardest come from the midwestern states? I think not...... It's easy hunting with natural funnels EVERYWHERE....... Don't get me wrong, I would take it over my area any time.... But the facts should be known, it's the easiest place to hunt in the country.....
Old 11-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's just another way of saying a "good hunter" is measured by the size of his racks on the wall and how many younger bucks they let pass by to achieve it.
This is not what Iwas saying when I made this thread. You just "atlasized" the thread for it to read differently then it was intended.

If you re-read it you may pick up on what I was trying to get across.

Antler Eater

I very much agree with your comments, I couldn't have said it that well myself. I am at times not the best at getting my thoughts and points across in text very well, at timesit can get frustrating. I appreciate the kind words!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, The Devil went down to Tenn and I'm now going to play Devil's advocate. What you say may be true in some circles, but in others it's bogus. The real goal of hunting is to kill. I know all the touchy feel good politically correct buzz words about the trek, experience, being with nature etc etc. But really, we hunt to kill. All the understanding and "THEORY" to be a hunter can be learned in books, magazines and from videos with never entering the woods. You could become a recognized authority simply by book learning. Now put me on the ground with "The Professor" and the "Good Ole Boy" from the back hollar and I'm following "Good Ole Boy". What some may take as reading the sign and declaring someone to be a "Great Hunter" is just second nature to someone else. Being that our ultimate goal is to kill, I'll go with the guy that year in and year out takes the most and the best deer in their woods. Might not be a booner or beable to write the "politically correct article", but his freezer is full. If Bob takes twice as much or twice as many of the same quality, excuse me..... but Bob is more than likely darned good at what he does no matter how PC Joe may be. Usually when someone says I've shot 6 P & Y bucks it only means, he's fortunate to have them running around in his woods. When someone tells me he's shot 60 or 70 deer with a bow, well I figure the guy is good and can hunt my woods anytime. He too probably passes many deer each year, but he knows how to kill them when he wants to.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:35 AM

So why use a bow? You can kill 'em quicker and easier with a gun.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Because I don't like things that go boom and I like a bow. I'm a bowhunter. In fact, I've probably been bowhunting longer than alot of people on this board have been breathing. Seriously, that's the way it is. I didn't learn from Bill Jordan or any of those folks. When people like myself and a few others on this board began, there were no bowhunters, no deer numbers in most places and no training aids. It was all self taught. If I wanted to hunt with a gun I'd be on the gun forums. If your theory were right, why aren't you hunting with a pen knife? Your weapon of choice has NO bearing on the equation. It's simply your weapon of choice. We're comparing apples to appls etc etc. No one said it's easy, we just say some are definitely a whole lot better at it than others. You know, the old bit about 10 percent of the fishermen etc etc. Look, it's hard as heck to be humble when you're the best.[8D][8D]
Old 11-24-2005, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Look, it's hard as heck to be humble when you're the best.[8D][8D]
LOL...I wouldn't know...yet.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Is it a coincident(sp) that the guys that spew QDM the hardest come from the midwestern states? I think not...... It's easy hunting with natural funnels EVERYWHERE....... Don't get me wrong, I would take it over my area any time.... But the facts should be known, it's the easiest place to hunt in the country.....
You're a frickin' idiot! If it's so easy then why doesn't everyone I know have 15 flippin' BC bucks on their walls?99% of my hunting is in deep hardwoods where when I see a mature buck it is likely the first and last time I'll see him. Once these bucks reach maturity, they have all the terrain, food, and cover needed to disappear and die of old age. Yeah, it's real easy...what a frickin' joke! You have no clue! [][:'(][:@]
Old 11-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

DoubleCreek.... I don't know if I'd go as far as Wolfen, but I might suggest you're misinformed. First, I've never hunted in the wide open(funnells everywhere) midwest. But just standing back and looking at it, and having driven across it a few times a couple things strike me. One, the deer adapt. They don't have to follow a funnel. They can travel and park in the wide open spaces and become nearly unapproachable with a bow. They can and do flop anywhere. No real certain bedding areas day after day. And the crops....whoa nellie, nothing much harder than hunting standing corn or something like that. Now take that 50 acre Eastern field and multiply it by 100 in size. Well, it's just mind boggling. I sincerely doubt it's as easy as you think. Different deer are different. I hunt East coast and also some Adirondack deer. They are entirely different in their travels and haunts. You must adapt to a different critter when you hunt deep woods vs a farm deer. I suspect it's the same with midwest "guaranteed funnels"[&:]
Old 11-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

DoubleCreek.... I don't know if I'd go as far as Wolfen, but I might suggest you're misinformed. First, I've never hunted in the wide open(funnells everywhere) midwest. But just standing back and looking at it, and having driven across it a few times a couple things strike me. One, the deer adapt. They don't have to follow a funnel. They can travel and park in the wide open spaces and become nearly unapproachable with a bow. They can and do flop anywhere. No real certain bedding areas day after day. And the crops....whoa nellie, nothing much harder than hunting standing corn or something like that. Now take that 50 acre Eastern field and multiply it by 100 in size. Well, it's just mind boggling. I sincerely doubt it's as easy as you think. Different deer are different. I hunt East coast and also some Adirondack deer. They are entirely different in their travels and haunts. You must adapt to a different critter when you hunt deep woods vs a farm deer. I suspect it's the same with midwest "guaranteed funnels"[&:]
Thank you...said in a much more elegant and PC manner Thanks David!

Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya wolfen. When I'm walking out into the woods I'm haveing to say excuse me for bumping into to so many big bucks on the way. Then when I do finally make my way to my standI just grunt and they line up and let me pick. Kansas deer heard is est. around 350,000 one of the lower populations in the country.

Quick Reply: Thought provocative......Good hunter????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.