Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunter

Old 11-22-2005, 10:46 AM

Default New Bowhunter

I am very interested in getting into bowhunting but i am not sure of what bow to get. Im willing to pay around 500 dollars for the whole sha-bang and i want one that is good for standhunting whitetail deer for the most part. thanks for your help!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Bowhunter

First off it depends on your theory of things. If I do something and get into it I like to spend the money and get the best for the bang. If you want the best quality performing bow, I would with no doubt look at hoyt or mathews bows. Been around for ever and every year come out with new great bows. My experience with ebay is great if you patient, alot of poeple will buy a bow every couple of years now days and you can get a great used bow off ebay one or two years old for an awesom price. Otherwise these bows sell all kinds of different models the price varying. Good luck with your choice. Go with the best Mathews or hoyt you won't be disapointed.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:50 AM

thanks a bunch man ill check into it.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:57 PM

if i were you i would get a Jennings CMX for starting out, soup it up with quiver, sight, arrowrest, stabilizer, lip kisser, and try shootin it at a target a few times and see how it works out for you
Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

1st off Welcome to the world of bowhunting, theres alot of different rests, sights, etc.. I use the whisker biscuit rest and love it. its a good rest for target and hunting. if your looking for pinpoint accuracy then you should try the prong rest or a drop away rest, but the whisker biscuit is a good rest. Im using the archers choice sight and its been fine. I only use 1 pin tho, thats all Ineed. I just bought the tru glo extreme tool less rest but waiting til the season ends to install. I use a doinker stabilizer but any stabilizer will do. try to get one a lil short like 7 or 8 inches. get a loop for sure if your using a release, I use the tru ball release, also get a kisser put on for an anchor point, and a BIG peep. I use the gold tip graphite arrows, 5575 and I shoot the muzzy 100gr 3 blade broadhead.whatever you do get the pro shop to install or help you with the setup. they should know what arrows you should need for the poundage your pulling. they should also help line the peep and kisser to your specs.once your setup always remember to follow thru on your shots and squeeze the trigger like you would a gun. dont punch the shot. it will take a lil practice but Im sure once you shoot a few times youll be hooked like the rest of us. after you practice with the field tips then you should try the broadheads. get a block target, shoot 2 filed tips and then shoot 2 broadheads and see if their shooting the same if not then you got to fine tune your rest or poundage, etc. the pro shop or whoever sold you the bow should take care of that for you also. Wish Ya luck.