Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flambeau Deer Decoy Question.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Flambeau Deer Decoy Question.

It doesn't half to be a Flambeau, but has anyone ever used decoys for deer? Also if you did what was your sucess or failures? Is it something that you can use alot or is it a one time trick for the heavy rut? Thanks all.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Flambeau Deer Decoy Question.

I haven't used one ,but some of my friend's swear by them [they use the Flambeau]I'm sure there's other's that work as well,espeacially as the buck's are coming into or in rut .I have put one on my Xmas list .The guy's are swearing that this is the only way to hunt .I know if i had had one 3 week's ago when the buck's were pre rutting I would have gotten my 10 point buck that I missed as he came through my shooting lane .I didn't miss a shot ,but i missed getting drawn .

nubo
Old 11-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Flambeau Redi-doe. I think you can really over use it. I use it 3 of 4 times a season. I think I've used it 9 hunts ( roughly 3 hours in an evening or morning) 4 times in 2003, 4 times 2004 and once this year. Of those 9 hunts I think 3 are on the "my alltime best hunts in 20 + years. They definetley work and it can get pretty wild! lots of fun and bring the video camera!

GoodLuck!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:13 PM

cloud 9, did you use it pre rut or during the rut? and any scents?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used it mostly at the end of pre-rut and during rutt. I think they'll still work very good before and after. I do use scent.......alot of deer get very close....some smell it......heck I've even had bucks mount the thing numerous times.

GoodLuck!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:39 PM

I use my 3D target as a decoy with entertaining success. Know they never advertise the fact that your 3D target is perfectly suitable decoy, but it is. I have one of the $70 Dick's Sporting Goods targets that can either be a doe or a buck... have used it off and on over the past 3 years. I spray it down real good with scent killer before hauling it into the woods.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I use a carry-lite decoy. I use it just before the hard rut. This is when the bucks are really getting teritorial. I shot a really nice buck over it last year, and had a big 10 pointer come to it this year, but couldn't get a shot. Try to figure out where the buck might come from, and set the decoy up to face that direction. Another trick that i do is put a 6 inch piece of toilet paper on the tail area and put a little buck scent on it. I also put small pieces of toilet paper in the ears. Just the slightest wind will give it movement. Never put scent on the decoy. I combine the use of the coy with a little rattling and calling. Its not magic, but I have had good success with it. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-20-2005, 09:28 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of the "photo on cardboard" type "decoys". Have you seen them? It's an actual photo, life size cutout of a buck or doe. I would think as long as you position it properly, they would work. They're cheaper, and ULTRA portable of course. I'd like to try one sometime. The ad I saw for some recently said "used by the pros"...lol Whatever that means.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

If decoys worked all the time, everyone would use them. They work often enough to be great entertainment, and you will get to see buck behavoirs otherwise difficult to observe. Do not ever use them if you want to harvest a doe. I've been using them for ~14 yrs, and have taken some nice bucks withtheir assistance. However, some equally nice bucks got nervous at them, and I have otherwise lost some golden opportunities (, the local whitetail known as the "mulie" is forever etched in my mind, ). There is no one tactic or technique that works all the time, but you should certainly add decoys to your repertoire. I still use mine - set up a carrylite buck "tending"a flambeau doe - a passing buck in pre-rut will find it hard not toinvestigate the pair in the pre-rut... ditto on the toilet tissue or use a feather to give some movement.
-fsh