Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
81.82%
NO
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do you see yourself as an ambassador of the sport of hunting?

Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you see yourself as an ambassador of the sport of hunting?

A few of these threads have gotten me wondering how many of us keep in mind that we are ambassadors of our sport and affect other people's opinion of our past-time. How many see yourselves as a representative of the sport, in the vane of Fred Bear, John Muir, and others?

I'll just put "YES" and "NO" and you can elaborate in your reply.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you see yourself as an ambassador of the sport of hunting?

I don't know if I'd use the word Ambassador. Protector, Defender and an Ethical role model yes. But an Ambassador to me, is one who also actively tries to get others to Join the quest. Outside of my kids who may or may not choose to hunt, I could care-less about getting others into the sport. It's tough enough to find a good piece of property to hunt. I don't need to compete with everyone I "win over". Selfish..maybe but why would I push an intrest on someone who doesn't initially have it. I will teach and guide others who want the help, but to just go out and get folks to hunt..that's not me.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the literal meaning of Ambassador is "a representative". So an ethical role model, defender, protector would be roles of an ambassador. So I hope you said yes.

I don't mean an active campaigner/recruiter, although that's not excluded, but do you keep in mind that your actions represent the sport?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I voted no simply because I agree with Badatta2d.....I do everything I can to promote bowhunting and hunting in general and anyone who knows me can tell you the same but in terms of "Ambassador"...No, I won't self label myself that way. Perhaps I misunderstand the term...I ain't that smart.[&:][8D]
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do what I can to keep a good image of hunting. Most of my friends are non hunters, but take an interest(or at least pretend to) when I tell my stories. I bring in jerky and other things i make from deer meat. I clean up and take nice pictures of my kills. I try and help out new comers with advice and direction on following the rules and good ethical behavior.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I think you would qualify for what I have in mind. In other words: Do you try to make a good impression on the sport at all times?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I said yes. When I talk to other folks about hunting I get a gleam in my eye and an excitement that beams out of me that never shows otherwise for any reason. When I tellthe stories of my adventures while hunting, people shake their heads in disbelief and sometimes are speechless. I hold nothing back. I love to spread the word about how tremendous a life filled with hunting can be. I can't understand how anybody would not want to do this! I also found out that my ethics are at a level unheard of. I found a trophy 10 point with his rack caught in a fence on Saturday while hunting forTHAT same buck. I called the Game warden to see if we could set him free so I could hunt him fair and square another day. Not one person so far has said they would have tried to free the deer. All the guys I talk to said they would have shot him immediately, no question. It is legal and all, but not the way I wanted to killsuch an animal.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried to promote bowhunting to others in a positive way as not to hurt our sport. There are some people who have a bad taste for bowhunters because of them running off at the mouth on things that they should not say in the company of those who do not understand. I am a certified bowhunter instructor here in montana and belong to the montana bowhunters assoiciation, but I do not know if I'm an ambassorder, so I did not vote.

Bobby
Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 PM

I said yes because of the several people I have helped to get involved with our wonderful sport over the years. All 3 of my children LOVE it, and several of my friends are involved now too, introducing their children as well.

You know, it is said that every Meth cooker teaches 10 others too cook, and those 10 teach 10 more, and so on. So, one guy is directly responsible for at least 100 more. I think the same can be said for the hunter that takes an interest in the sport and involving other people. For instance, my friends have gotten their children involved, my children will get my grandchildren involved, and so on. Our sport is slowly dying, and is becoming more and more important to get children involved, any way you can. I would rather be responsible for 100 hunters than the other.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

under talondale's definition yes i do. i try to represent my sport well. just today i had to deal with a girl who found out that i hunted and was wondering how i could kill bambi and instead of loosing my cool i just explained as much as i could to her, but to say the least she didn't seem to interested in my side of the story.

Quick Reply: Do you see yourself as an ambassador of the sport of hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.