Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I screwed up BIG time

Old 11-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Default I screwed up BIG time

Ok, long story short, I killed a turkey today with my bow. It is my first bow turkey. I checked it in at the check station and then called my dad to tell him the news. He tells me turkey season just went out Saturday. I had it in my head that it was open until this coming Saturday. Now I am worried about what the consequences will be. Ive never done anything like this and I am ashamed to admit it. I will post a pic as soon I clean my 10 pound hen. I am not sure what the fine will be and I probably dont want to know. Anyone have any ideas as what I should do? Stupid stupid stupid.[&o]
Old 11-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I screwed up BIG time

I'm surprised the checking station didn't tell you about the violation. Maybe the season IS still open.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

That sucks, but the check station should have sais something?
Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did the check in station not say nothing/
Old 11-14-2005, 03:55 PM

I am almost certain that turkey season went out last Saturday in VA. It opens back up on Thanksgiving day, then re-opens for a few weeks in December.

Vashadowhunter
Old 11-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

I'd call the CO. and tell him about it.......Hopefully they'll be easy on you considering it was an honest mistake!!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:07 PM

I checked the handbook and it did go out this past saturday, Nov. 12. I feel so stupid. The guys didnt say anything at the feed store. They were joking around alot with me and they were saying I was the "king" b/c this was the biggest hen thats been checked in and with a bow. Ill post that pic soon as I get the camera. Should I notify the department of game tomorrow and tell my story in hopes of a lighter charge. I really didnt need this to happen. No ones fault but my own.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Archery Turkey Season October 1-November 12: Statewide

That's in VA man.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 PM

heres the bird. Im thinking Im going to talk with the warden tomorrow. I dont think the feed store could "lose" my check tag. I dont even wanna go back there. Just gonna man up and see what happens.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:18 PM

According to Virginia's DNR website, archery turkey season closed for the year Nov. 12. I didn't see anywhere that it reopens, but this is irrelevant. Here's the thing. You obviously aren't trying to hide from it, and since you checked the bird in ( just like you are suppose to ) they are gonna catch you. Just no way around it as I see it. I would contact them and tell them what happened. I would suspect that they would go a little softer on you since you are trying to make right of it, but no guarantee there of course.
Hey, if nothing else, by contacting them you will sleep better.
Keep us posted as to what happens, ok? It'll be ok though. Just be honest with them, and get it over with.

Quick Reply: I screwed up BIG time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.